Sermon of the Week: “Talking About Tithing” by Jim McClarty

How many times have we heard the arguments from those who teach that we, as Christians, are not under the Law, but we are still under the tithe? “You know, if don’t tithe you’re robbing God!” And we’ve heard the usual proof-texts. Have you ever wanted to know how to answer those folks? Well, Jim McClarty has gone through and answered these taken-out-of-context passages and put them in their proper context and has given us this response.

Should we be giving to the church? Of course! Is it a compulsory “Give your 10% or God will curse you” tithe (and is it even 10%? Hmmm…) No. Pastor McClarty explains why.

Talking About Tithing

7 thoughts on “Sermon of the Week: “Talking About Tithing” by Jim McClarty

1. Rev Limiter says:

Great message and timing! I was just reading commentary on Malachi 3 this morning.
    This is one of the biggest hoax’s ever brought to the Christian church! The points Jim makes, one after another, should be enough to convince any pastor or congregant that this is not a new testament doctrine in any way shape or form.
    Unfortunately, “Christian” television has cashed in big on this as their plea for money puts unwitting viewers on a guilt trip and shortchanges the local church of the necessary funds to keep operating. Many pastors who I believe know better, teach tithing because their trust in God’s provision is weak and the payroll must be met in order to keep their doors open! Sad!!!

2. michael says:

Of Old Testament schemes God taught through Moses and others, from Deuteronomy 15, comes the essence of the Church edifying itself up in Love.

The Apostle Paul wrote about his ability to bring the Gospel to people without charge, see 1 Cor. 9:18 and 2 Cor. 11:7 and then in Galatians 6:6 One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches.

He also dealt with the lazy and those who are sluggish and non productive when he writes this about their participation with members of the Body of Christ:

Eph 4:28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.

My all time favorite, though, are these words from Acts:

Act 20:32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
    Act 20:33 I coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel.
    Act 20:34 You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me.
    Act 20:35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.'”

There truly is a place for giving of our increases to those in need and to those who work hard at teaching and preaching. The work of the Church is to see to it that no one falls short of the Grace of God and one of the many practical ways for a group of people to dwell together in unity building itself up in this Grace is by giving, giving to the work of the ministry and to the building up the unhealthy physically and emotionally as needed!

I like this brother’s no nonsense approach speaking the Truths of Scripture. I believe this is the same brother I was listening to some time back opening up and giving his understanding of the book of the Revelation to John?

Good word and easy to listen to and understand!!

3. This has been a great challenge in West Africa where missionaries indoctrinated many here in the finer arts of “tithing.” The two works we have started do not take up offerings and we have been praying that the men we are training (along with teaching them) that God is able to supply their needs. For the last 4 months, God has done just that and provided what was necessary. This has proven to be a huge lesson in faith for these dear men. It also helps that they are not cumbered with the headaches of massive building projects, CEO type salaries with benefits packages, etc.

4. Bruce says:

We give generously both to our local church and to missionaries we support, but I really resent it when the only work of the law that gets imported (albeit in a modified way) into the modern church is the bit that funds it.

Most churches I have attended are very open about how their money gets used, how much money they are taking in, and what the budget is. A (different) megachurch I attended was one that i was considering starting to support as i was attending fairly regularly. I asked if i could please see the books so i could evaluate whether they were using the money wisely or not. The reaction from the treasuruer was that this wasn’t normally done. fantastic way to cultivate a climate where money can be squandered on pet projects, or slipping the pastors family onto the payroll without oversight. Between that reaction, and getting heartily sick of the five minute pep talk before the offering was taken up each week, I didn’t last there very long.

5. fleebabylon says:

Bruce said:

“a church my wife and I attended before we got married had a philosophy that until you gave 10% you had no right to expect God to bless you, and that literally 10% was a magic number (I prodded them on this, and seemingly there is a mystical quatlity to 10%). Probably the closest thing to a cult I’ve ever encountered and been involved in. ”

This describes the assemblies of god church i went to as a young convert. The things I saw and heard there are shocking even for this apostate age we live in..

6. Bruce says:

Hi fleebabylon:
    The church we were attending was NCMI (new covenant ministries international), a group that emerged out of south africa and their migrants to australia. Hadn’t heard of them before, but it took a while for alarm bells to ring and for us to get out.