Quiz: Are you loving or unloving?

Here’s a quick and simple six-question quiz to determine whether you’re loving (“tolerant”) or unloving (close minded and “intolerant”).

1). You’re sitting in a coffee shop when a woman at another table gets up–leaving her coffee unattended–to get a napkin. As she does, a man walks by her table, pours a powdered substance into the woman’s coffee and quickly exits the shop. You immediately warn this woman of what just happened. Your reaction is:

A. Loving

B. Unloving. This is none of your business. Quit interfering with other people’s lives.

2). A small child runs toward a bush to retrieve his ball that rolled into it. You know that the bush contains a rattlesnake nest. You yell out for the kid to stop. Your yelling at this child is:

A. Loving

B. Unloving. Who are you to impose your beliefs onto this kid. His parents have a right to raise him how they see fit without your close-minded “snakes are bad” views being forced down his throat.

3). You are woken to the sounds of fire alarms and the smell of smoke in your apartment complex. As you hastily exit your apartment you notice that no one has alerted your elderly neighbors who are  deaf. You bang on their door (and even kick it in if necessary) to alert them of the pending doom. This action that you’re taking is:

A. Loving.

B. Unloving. Have you considered that perhaps this couple is happy where they are? Why wake them from their slumber? If they’re happy, then leave them be.

4). On a dark and rainy night you observe a family in a car heading home in the direction of a washed-out bridge. You holler and flail your arms, making every effort you can to get their attention to warn them. Your behavior is:

A. Loving

B. Unloving. All roads lead to their house. Who are you to tell them that the road that they’ve chosen to go home will lead to their deaths?

5). While sitting in your car waiting for your friend in a bank, you observe a man walk into the bank wearing a stocking on his face and carrying a gun. You call 911.This judgment of the man’s intentions is:

A. Loving

B. Unloving. “Judge not lest ye be judged!” Who are you to judge this man’s heart. Maybe his intentions are good and he will do no harm to those inside. You’re always so negative and have no faith in other people. You’ve condemned this man already. Jesus would have never done that, He would have befriended him. You need to be more like Jesus.

6). Your friend is going to die in his sins, and when he wakes up on the other side of eternity, will find himself in Hell. You share with him the fact that his unrepentant sin will condemn him before a holy God and that he deserves God’s wrath (just like everyone else) because he’s transgressed God’s laws. You further explain that any of his attempts to purchase God’s forgiveness by his own obedience to the Law or good works is futile because not only are we saved by faith apart from the works and the Law, but God’s grace is not earned, it is a gift. You share with your friend that through the death of one Man, God has provided forgiveness to sinners, but this unmerited favor for sinners is only found in God’s Son, Jesus Christ, who ransomed us with His own blood. God’s only Son took our sin upon Himself on the cross and, in turn, imputed his perfect righteousness to us. You tell your friend that Jesus became a propitiation for him in order to absorb the wrath of God that he deserves. You urge your friend to repent and put his trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. This discussion with your friend is:

A. Loving.

B. Unloving. Insert any of the above “B” answers (or all of them) here: __________.

13 thoughts on “Quiz: Are you loving or unloving?

1. Carrie says:

Interesting, good points, but highly extreme. I would also be wary of people using this post as an excuse to push specific religious views on others and consider it ‘salvation’. I am a Lutheran, others are Catholics, I believe that Jesus Christ is my only Savior, but I would not appreciate a Catholic (Or other religious preference) telling me that my ways are wrong because they are different. There is only one way to God. Instead of trying to turn fellow Christian’s towards specific beliefs, I think it would be more beneficial to either focus on our own path or the path of those who have no faith. Best thing we can do is to lead by example! Just my opinion but thank you for letting me share. God bless! :)

2. Carrie,

I don’t think this post is extreme at all…just truthful and eye-opening for those who like to cry for “tolerance” all the time.
    Also, just because a person claims they are a Christian, doesn’t mean they truly are one. Many claim to have a faith but in all actuality have believed in a false Christ…the beliefs they have show this. .it is loving to show them their error (in love) so they *are* following the true Jesus of the Bible. This post just seems to be directed at the gospel message…which is essential to be proclaimed to everyone.

Kindly,
    katy

3. Wow this is pretty good! I was laughing at this one…it reduces the objection against Christian truths in the name of tolerance to absurdity!

4. Great post! Unfortunately, I think many will completely miss the point like Carrie does above. If there are actually truths (not just “beliefs) about God, it would be unloving not to share them. If people find reality and truth to be offensive and intrusive, that is indeed unfortunate, but it is much more loving to intrude with the truth rather than politely watch them fall headlong into Hell. It seems tolerance and a smile is to be valued more than reality in today’s “christian” culture. What a sad state of affairs! Perhaps this article will awaken a few…

5. Linda says:

I is a good post in that it makes the point so clearly. People tend to placate sin as not being that serious enough to “offend” people. Juxtaposing all these scenarios with our urgency to share the Gospel goes to show how loving it actually is and how utterly absurd it is to NOT share. Let it offend people Jesus did. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be courteous and loving-we should. We should always tell the truth in love.

Carrie said-”I am a Lutheran, others are Catholics, I believe that Jesus Christ is my only Savior, but I would not appreciate a Catholic (Or other religious preference) telling me that my ways are wrong because they are different.”

Christianity is not based upon what denomination you go to, it’s based on what the BIBLE says is the true and eternal Gospel of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. The declaration (“I’m a Lutheran, or I’m a Catholic, or Presbyterian etc.) does not express anything that has to do with Salvation. We can have an idea of a group has erred from the original orthodox position. Catholicism is one group that is not Orthodox and is not Christian. So placing them in the same category as various the denominations we have within protestantism is a false dichotomy.

Carrie said-”There is only one way to God. Instead of trying to turn fellow Christian’s towards specific beliefs, I think it would be more beneficial to either focus on our own path or the path of those who have no faith.”–

I’m not sure how any christian could not want to SHARE with people the most important message the most wonderful GIFT they’ve ever received in their lives that they’d want others to receive as well. If Christians truly love people they want them to know the truth and go to heaven also. To Just live out your faith and not say a word is very selfish. I’m not sure how any christian cannot know the URGENCY. People’s eternal destinies are at stake

As an example: at work I shared with a co-worker the Gospel when the opportunity arised. This guy is Catholic. He thought he was a good person and I shared with him the Gospel. His view about Sin is very skewed and his view about God is not biblical at all. If I had NOT shared with him he’d go on believing he’s saved all the way to hell. He’s LOST and all he could say was he’s a Catholic.

I do agree that we should LIVE our lives as an example but when the time and opportunity comes we cannot ever assume a person is saved just because they wear the title “I’m a Christian, I go to Church, I was baptized, I’m Lutheran, I’m Catholic, I’m a good person etc.)..

Compare the urgency to Cancer; if you go to the Dr and he placates that spot on your arm and says just go home and put a band-aid on it and elevate your feet and go for walks , how is that very loving? So the Dr doesn’t want to offend you and nor does he want to come across as being unloving so he doesn’t tell you the truth that it’s gonna kill you. Say you die and he had a cure all along?

Same goes with our desire to let people know the truth. We have to share the Gospel and we will WANT TO if we truly love people as ourselves ~

6. Carrie says:

For clarification sake, I meant extreme in the sense that I cannot believe anyone, Christian or otherwise would find it right within themselves to ignore a situation such as the second to the last listed. Whether an individual is Christian or not, I believe in my heart that they would indeed intervene without question. Perhaps not EVERY individual, but I expect the majority would.

Also, to glorify the Lord with exclamation of praises is not in question! Sing a joyful noise, exclaim with gladness and joy what the Lord has done for you! I do every day and I am not ashamed of doing so. I speak openly about my faith with individuals of all denominations. My point that seems to have been missed is that I have witnessed individuals of different faiths (Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, etc) making accusations of false worship towards other denominations. We spoke about this the other day in bible study. Katy I believe understood and made a good point in regards to this.

My point is simply this; Sometimes we must consider that the Lord knows best and we do not. Pray without ceasing, lift your hands to the sky, sing His praises, let your love for Him shine brighter than any candle in the darkness. In this way we lead by example. Please understand this is my opinion and I do not feel that I should be chastised as ‘not getting the point’ for not taking from this article something different than yourselves. It is indeed a good article, has a very good point to make and everyone shall take from it what appeals or is moving to them. It reminds me of those times in my life when I will simply open the bible to a random passage and upon reading it, apply it directly to what I am dealing with at that particular time. The Lord works in mysterious ways! :) You need not pass judgement on me or chastise me for my thoughts on this article simply because they differ from yours. I am still as faithful as I have always been and will continue to be. Believe that we are all Brothers and Sisters in faith and our efforts are perhaps best suited reaching out to those who have no faith rather than to those who faith differs slightly from our own. Also, you catch more bee’s with honey than you do with vinegar, which is what I meant by leading by example. Our songs of praise and our faithful living should proclaim a strong message in itself!

God bless you all and again, thank you for letting me freely and openly express my opinions without fear of persecution. :)

7. Linda says:

Carrie, you have some good points and you did clarify that you ‘DO share and have shared your faith with various people –I commend you for that. Not as “IF” that adds anything or takes away anything from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Carrie said-“You need not pass judgement on me or chastise me for my thoughts on this article simply because they differ from yours.”

The man or woman of God makes judgments on all things Carrie.—1Cr 2:15 “The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man’s judgment:”

As far as you feeling like people are “chastising you”, that’s something that God our heavenly Father does. If you feel that way then there’s a problem with you needing to sort out some kind of defensiveness you may be struggling with when you do run into cognitive dissonance. I know because I’ve felt the same way and it was ME not the others. We are to take correction from the LORD when God DOES use people to correct us. Anyways that’s a whole different subject.

My point is based on the word of God and not my opinion. Jesus COMMANDS that we share the great commission the Gospel-Matthew 28:19. This sharing is not an option and remember Jesus said that his commands are not at all grievous to us because they are based on love—. If they are then it is us who have made it a burden(which I have done).

I agree with you to a degree in that we are all individuals and sharing our faith is different or varied in our lifestyles because we are not a bunch of cookie cutter Christians. Some live their faith and when the opportunity arises people ask you questions which does prompt (sharing your faith). I’m a woman and I don’t “public preach on a mic”. I’m using an extreme example here but I personally just don’t care for that. Some people do and I believe that’s for men not women if they do. For us who are women, we are to be more silent than men. Of course we should share and look for opportunities.

Sharing our faith is worshiping the Lord because we are to “Offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, this is our spiritual act of worship”. Worship is not reduced to just singing with our hands in the air, dancing, burning candles. Nothing wrong with that but worship is a WAY of LIFE in that we are yielded to the Holy Spirit in whatever we do throughout the day. Whether we are at work, we worship the Lord by yielding to the Holy Spirit and do the best we can as serving the Lord even when others around us are NOT doing their Job. This is just a tiny example. Worship is driving my car and being more loving with people and letting them in line from a stop light and no one else will. Worship is cooking at home for your family. It’s all to be to the Glory of the LORD. In HIM we live and move and have our being”. Worship is the attitude of our hearts at right standing with the Lord where we are yielded to HIM. When the opportunity arises we should share…

Also, a huge point to consider, for me, (and I had a dramatic conversion) I fell in love with Jesus and when I fell in love with HIM I wanted to tell the whole WORLD what he did for me and I wanted what Jesus did for me for everyone. I still do. What I’m saying is, it’s like when we fall in love with a person and we are so excited and want to tell everyone how wonderful they are and kind we want to share with them the love of our lives and how they’ve brought us such joy. Even moreso and to a much, much greater degree it should be with us with Jesus just like the woman at the well, ran and told the whole village about Jesus and many came to believe in him.

Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.”-Mat.5:15-16

8. michael says:

The only reservation I would have with this last appeal to love or not comes to the point of monergism. We, chosen from before the foundation of the world, Eph. 1, “have” that Root in us from the beginning of our own formation in our mother’s womb, seeing He it is all things were made by, through and for. Our place, as the Children from the loins of the man Abraham or from the Root and offspring of David after being made in our mother’s womb to be as adopted Children in the Spirit to the Family of God, is in the Holy Spirit, Who is the equalizer to unite both Jew and Gentile into one body and the one whereby we are conjoined to Christ. There clearly is a mystery at work in this world. Two of them, in fact. There are both Elect Chosen and reprobates in human flesh walking the earth today doing as they must in the world. To the Elect Chosen, our “must” is to be disconnected from the world and the ruler of the world fully followers of Christ in this fallen world. That is by the abundance of Grace and His Gift of Righteousness. To those of the world, earth dwellers, there awaits a certain fate, which is sure and is found explained in detail in Scripture. To the Elect Chosen, our place, by the power of and the leading of the Holy Spirit, is to proclaim the Gospel of the Kingdom to all creatures, not knowing who is Chosen and who is reprobate so that the Chosen, just as we, who were sitting in darkness at one time, too, chosen before the foundation of the world will respond to the Faith they hear in the proclamation of the Gospel and then receive the gift of repentance and forgiveness for their sins. Once that happens they, too, will have to be transformed and made into Disciples of Christ to fully live for the Will of God and not for the will of the flesh.

The work of the Bride of Christ and His Royal Priests is proclamation. The work is to lift up the Name of the Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit to every nation. The work is to do the same work God is doing and Christ is doing. How God protects me from the spirits of the world as I go about being led of the Spirit and from those of the world is His alone to do as He has promised. He will never leave me or forsake me and is with me to the end. I will not die alone when I die in this world. I will die in Christ and this to the Glory of God!

Here is the work of the Church succinctly expressed by the Apostle Paul and we who have been called out of darkness to abide in Christ and see His Light ought to be about this business and not be drawn away into speculations:

Eph 3:8 To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,
    Eph 3:9 and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things,
    Eph 3:10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
    Eph 3:11 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,
    Eph 3:12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.

9. Ron Kirkwood says:

Carrie, the most loving thing I can say to you, is the truth. The bible does not teach a variety of denominations, only truth. It is of the utmost importance that we understand that denominations were created by men, not God. Some of the most popular denominations, are quite frankly, the doctrine of demons and their intent is to draw away many from the truth. If your salvation requires you to do anything to earn it, it is a false teaching. “For by grace are you saved, through faith, and that is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not as a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Eph 2:8-9) God did everything, If you are chosen, you will be born again, become like Christ, and dwell with Him forever in eternity.(paraphrased Rom 8:29-30) You simply must yield yourself to His will and cling to the reality that Jesus Christ took the punishment you deserve, obey the teachings of the Scriptures, apart from the traditions of a works-based salvation, worship God for His gift to you, and take His message to all that will listen. We are commanded to go and make disciples.

10. Andrew says:

@Pilgrim: incorrect theology! You said ‘… repent and put his trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation’. Nowhere in the Bible does it say we are saved by ‘trust’ or ‘repentance’ (i.e. works). We are saved by grace alone through faith, both of which are gifts, which then lead to repentance.

11. Andrew, Was Christ teaching a ‘work’ when He declared “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” ? {Mark 1:15}
    How about this from Luke 13, “I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”
    Were the disciples teaching a work when they stated “Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent” -Acts 17:30
    How about these words from the Apostle Peter, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” – Acts 2:38
    Read this from our Lord, “I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” – Luke 5:32
    And this, “and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.” – Luke 24:47
    Can a sinner repent on his own? Not according to the word of God, ‘if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth.’ – 2 Timothy 2:25

These are commands, they aren’t choices Christ gives. Only those who have ‘ears to hear’ will forsake sin.