Joel Osteen–“Mormons are Christians” (Part 1,382)

As if we needed yet more proof that Joel Osteen is a wishy-washy, milquetoast, “let’s all get together for milk and cookies” false teacher. In an interview with the Washington Times, here we have him saying (yet again) that Mormons are Christians. this is not the first time that Joel Osteen has embraced the cult of Joseph Smith. He did the same in a 2007 interview with FOX News’ Chris Wallace.

Here are the two videos that show he has not learned to discern between the truth and the lie:

2007:

2011:

While it’s easy to sit back and smirk and say, “Well, there he goes again,” there is a bigger picture we must see:

1) This is a man who has influence over thousands and thousands of people who profess to know the TRUE Christ. People who go through the day thinking they know the One who called Himself “The Way, the Truth, and the Life.” And yet they are being deceived by this man.

2) This is a man who claims to be preaching the word of God. He stands on a grand stage every week, peddling his brand of feel-good philosophy, promising everyone they can have their “Best Life Now®”, and telling you how to “Become a Better You®”, and how to make “Every day a Friday®”. And yet he will not tell his audience how to avoid sin, how to be pleasing to God, or how to avoid His wrath and judgment. And now, he is teaching his followers to embrace the henotheistic, works-based false gospel of the flesh-peddler Joseph Smith.

3) He is, by the same token, comforting Mormons who are deceived by their elders and “prophets”. By giving Mormonism his support, Osteen is telling the Mormon who is placing his/her hope for salvation in their own works (along with a little help from Jesus), he is letting them be comfortable in their deception, showing them how to have a smile on their face and a full belly all the way to Hell.

This man is unbiblical in his approach to preaching, avoiding the hard truths. He embraces false religions. Of his followers, Paul wrote well when he said, rather prophetically, that “You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed” (2nd Corinthians 11:4, New Living Translation). I beg you, if you follow this man, avoid him.

Romans 16:17-1817 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.

Galatians 1:8-98 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Jeremiah 23:1-31 “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!” says the LORD. 2 Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel against the shepherds who feed My people: “You have scattered My flock, driven them away, and not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings,” says the LORD.

24 thoughts on “Joel Osteen–“Mormons are Christians” (Part 1,382)

1. Once again, let’s remember that our Lord prophesied such apostasy, hence the warnings to his flock about them. And as Paul Washer has rightly pointed out, such heretics are God’s judgment on the people who want such deception presented to them.

May God have mercy.

2. Too bad a heretic is the pastor of the largest church in the U.S., which happens to somewhat close to where I live, while a faithful pastor of the Word is pastor to a small church. But the Lord is faithful and is growing the small church substantially. God is certainly at work in preserving a remnant of true believers in Christ.

3. Committed: I also live close to the stadium this motivational speaker calls his church. Please do not call him a pastor – he ain’t one. Amen and amen – the Lord our God is faithful! Let the redeemed of the Lord praise Him! Certainly we would all perish today if He did not save and continue to do so – until the Day of Judgment. Praise the Lord all ye saints!

4. Tracie says:

Thank God you put up this clip about Osteen’s ignorance of The Truth. “For My people perish for lack of knowledge”..This man is leading millions of people in ignorance straight to hell, and he is leading the masses into the flames, because he appeases their “itching ears” with deceit. This man is hell’s best kept secret, because he knoweth not The Truth, and even I perceive that The Spirit of Christ, (The Holy Ghost), is not in this man. I am praying that this man comes to The Truth (Jesus) before it is everlasting too late! May The Lord please have mercy!!!

5. D. Curl says:

Wow! What an inditment for this “man of God”. Let us all pray that the real Holy Spirit will dwell in his temple soon. I live in a nearby city and people laud his accomplishments. I want to say to them, shame on you for believing his tale. He is a feel good leader. If it feels good it is right. I know many individuals who are “feel gooders”. When will all the people wake up and read the Word?

6. Ken S says:

Osteen is akin to a snake oil salesman, foisting a hoax on multitudes of people with assurances that it will help them. The truth is not in him.

7. B Z says:

I am sick of the preachers that preach things like Everyday a Friday. It is ear itching preaching that totally diminishes the true challenges of truly following Christ. I am sure that John did not feel that everyday was a friday when he was on the island serving time at the end of his life. It is spitting in the face of TRUE believers that are persecuted for what they believe and preaching the true gospel in other parts of the world even as we speak. People like Osteen preach positive thinking with out the reality of persecutions. He skirts around the issues so he doesn’t get persecuted in the press. Well, Christ did not white wash anything to be popular and unfortunately that is what these feel good preachers are doing.

8. BZ – I agree with you regarding the Truth that must be preached and the need to silence false preachers. However – it was the Apostle John who spent time on Patmos, not John the Baptist. John the Baptist had his head on a platter – see Matthew 14.

9. jay says:

This goes far beyond just being Osteen being motivational speaker…This is heresy and is flat out opposed to the teachings of the Bible.

10. Todd says:

Being familiar with Mr. Osteen as well as having lived in Utah for over 4 years, I’ll offer the following: Mormons are NOT Christians. Their beliefs are like all other false religions in the world – based upon works. Mr. Osteen, by comforting them in their falsehood does great dis-service to the name of Christ and His Church. I don’t think it’s wrong to wish failure upon his ‘ministry.’ I pray for that as regularly as I pray that Liberalsm in the church and our government will fail too. It saddens me greatly when ‘ministries’ like his gain a foothold in a community, grow to a massive size, propegate false teaching through TV, books, interviews, “Christian” radio, and grow grow grow.

Having also lived in western Michigan for several years, and seeing the “rise” of a Mr. Rob Bell (author, ‘pastor’, speaker, church-marketeer, film-maker……….books “Velvet Elvis,” “Sex God,” “Love Wins,” “Jesus Wants to Save Christians”) and his followers at Mars Hill Church near Grand Rapids, I guess I shouldn’t be amazed that people by the thousands swallow his drivel. Sad.

Where’s the true preacher? What has happened to preaching today? Where did it go? Where’s Law & Gospel heralding? Where are the faithful men who truly shepard a local flock? Why all the concern for numbers and money in churches? Sad.

Todd
    Texas

11. Jim says:

I see how this works. My previous post was moderated away. To reiterate my main points: if a person wants to call himself a Christian, who am I to argue? Otherwise there’s only one True Christian: me. Furthermore, I know Joel Osteen, and he is in real life a good, kind man who has personally done more for the poor and disaster relief than most people I know. Sorry if he’s not judgmental enough for your tastes, but I judge a person by what he does rather than what he says he believes. Faith without works is dead.

I’m realizing my effort here is a waste of time. This website doesn’t want honest debate, only confirmation of its own biased preconceptions. “Defending and Contending” – give me a break. Jesus never shied away from a spirited argument. He would be disappointed at your cowardice. Please unsubscribe me from this mutual back-patting society.

12. Hello Jim,
    I understand your claim that Osteen is good, we all have an opinion of others based on one thing or another. However, bear in mind Jeremiah 17:9, “The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?” This refers to our minds, our thoughts, the center of our being. Even our opinions are faulty because they proceed from a mind that is sin- sickened and depraved. Now, you have said ‘I know Joel Osteen, and he is in real life a good, kind man who has personally done more for the poor and disaster relief than most people I know’, this is what is known as a ‘social’ gospel, meeting the felt needs of others. There is nothing wrong with this, but this isn’t man’s greatest need. Mankind is under God’s wrath; sinful, wicked, depraved, hating God and proving it by sinning habitually and willfully daily. Sin is an offense against God, an insult, a strike and blow to His holiness, His righteousness; God loathes sin and must punish sin. Mankind needs to hear of their sins, and of the atoning work of Christ; His shed blood cleanses, His sacrifice satisfied God as God the Father spent His wrath on His Son. From Dr. Boice’s book ‘What happened to the doctrines of Grace’, he quotes H. E. Guillebaud, “he offered himself as a sacrifice in our stead, bearing our sin in his own body on the tree. He suffered, not only awful physical anguish, but also the unthinkable spiritual horror of becoming identified with the sin to which he was infinitely opposed. He thereby came under the curse of sin, so that for a time even his perfect fellowship with his Father was broken. Thus God proclaimed his infinite abhorrence of sin by being willing himself to suffer all that, in place of the guilty ones, in order that he might justly forgive. Thus the love of God found its perfect fulfillment, because he did not hold back from even that uttermost sacrifice, in order that we might be saved from eternal death through what he endured”.

Mr. Osteen proclaims a motivational message that saves no one, he speaks of love and having your best life now, however, this is a far cry from what the Bible teaches. God is first and foremost holy, holy, holy; He detests sin. Sin must be confessed and forsaken, fled from. Mr. Osteen does not emphasize the wickedness of man and his depravity. Osteen’s church is filled because he tickles the ear, but his words never prick the conscience and bring sinners to see their guilt, their offenses against God. If you want your ears tickled, continue to follow this pied piper. You are on the broad road because that’s where his messages take you. Remember the words of Christ, the way is narrow, as is the gate, few find it. Why? Because the cost of following Christ is too high for most, to die to self and not love the world is too much to ask. Yet, Osteen preaches a ‘best life now’ theology that does not square with God’s word. “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world. If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. A man’s enemies will be the member of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.” Do you recognize these teachings? They are from the Lord Himself; certainly doesn’t fit the ‘best life now’ theology of Mr. Osteen does it? The Bible considers true believers as pilgrims, strangers, aliens in this world. We do not live for this world, deeming important what this world deems important; we are here to serve the Master and to glorify our Father in heaven, to share the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, striving for Christ-likeness until the day we go on to glory. We are simply passing through, on a journey to a better land, waiting to go home…

13. Ky gal says:

I understand what you are saying, Jim. I think Joel Osteen is a little too syrupy on theology. But I also know that he does good for people in need. It’s hard for me to separate the two.

I know that verses will be pulled out saying evil and good cannot exist in the same heart. But sometimes I wonder. I know that I am capable of doing good things, but I also have capacity for evil. Arguing about who is a false teacher seems kind of pointless, some days. I don’t know if it has a great impact for the Kingdom or merely tears people down.

I think this site refutes false religion well, but other things, not so much. I am very hesitant to state my full opinion because I feel like I am swimming in a pool full of piranhas. I appreciate being allowed to comment, and I am always aware that I am a guest here.

Time is never wasted learning. And I know I have learned a lot from this site. I learn more by reading than commenting, which is why I still visit.

14. O’ no no no…Mormons are not Christians ! They do not teach nor do they believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God. “For God so loved the world that he gave his ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, that whosoever believeth in him him shall not perish.” John 3:16 1901 ASV. “ONLY” and “BEGOTTEN” being the key words here. I have Mormon friends and Catholic friends whom I think a lot of, but their religious beliefs do not hold true to what I read in my Holy Bible.

15. Collette Barr says:

I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints for almost 52 years. Yes, I’m a Mormon. I have always been taught and I do believe that Jesus Christ is the Only begotten Son of God. He is the author and finisher of my faith. He is my Savior. His sacrifice makes it possible for you and me to live again. He is The Way, The Truth, and The Life. I am a Christian.

16. Collette,
    The problem is that the Jesus Christ you claim to follow with all these biblical statements, is not the Jesus Christ identified in the Bible. If you were to call a dandelion a rose, would that make a dandelion a rose? In the same way, the Jesus Christ of the LDS is not the Jesus Christ of the Bible.

The Jesus Christ of LDS is a created being, the literal son of God the Father, and brother to all other spirits in the pre-existence. The Christ of the Bible is eternally existent with God the Father as one of the Trinity – and is God himself. The Christ of the Bible is NOT the spiritual brother of all other spirits, rather the Christ of the BIble created all other spiritual beings, and no human spirits pre-exist their earthly life. Satan (who Smith erroneously called Lucifer) is a created being, and not a spiritual brother of Christ.

The Jesus of the LDS was conceived through physical sexual intercourse (a teaching the LDS tries to deny today) with Mary, while the Jesus of the Bible was conceived miraculously from a virgin through NO intercourse.

The Jesus of LDS only atoned for the sin of Adam, providing the opportunity for us to obtain “eternal life,” while the Jesus of the Bible atoned for our personal sins and secured eternal life for us.

Finally, in the LDS Jesus cannot atone for all sins (murder and adultery were two sins noted in previous LDS doctrine), while the Jesus of the Bible atones for ALL sins.

You may claim you follow Christ, but you follow a counterfeit developed in the imagination of Joseph Smith, who was a false prophet.

17. Jim says:

I could just as easily argue that the Jesus Christ of modern Christianity is also a created being.

The doctrine of the Trinity itself is a Stoic concept not present in the Bible. The first use of the phrase was in the early 3rd century by Tertullian, and it wasn’t codified until the Council of Nicea a century later. Even then, the Holy Spirit took a back seat to the other two parts of the Godhead. Huge segments of Christianity even today quibble about the details of something that is ultimately a mystery that can’t be truly understood by our limited mortal minds anyway.

The “virgin birth” doctrine is the result of a mistaken translation of the Hebrew word “almah” (young woman) into the Greek “parthenos”. Certainly there is no biblical basis for the Catholic concepts of the eternal virginity of Mary or of her own Immaculate Conception.

Most of church doctrine originates with Saul/Paul, who never actually met Jesus during his life, unless you count his vision (hallucination?) on the road to Damascus. As would be expected from someone unfamiliar with the story, Paul mentions nothing about a virgin birth or any other details of Jesus’ earthly life. In fact, an interesting parallel exists between Paul’s vision and Joseph Smith’s. Other than the fact that Paul’s happened nearly 1800 years earlier, what gives one credibility over the other? At one time, Paulism was considered a heresy, just like mainstream Christians today consider Mormonism.

So is a person a Christian only because they dogmatically adhere to a creed set down in the 4th century by an arbitrary group of old men? Is it true that one can be the most horrible type of sadistic, genocidal mass-murderer in life, but can participate in a ritual atavistic blood sacrifice at the right time and gain eternal life in paradise? Really? If that’s the case, and “social gospel” is irrelevant, then I think I don’t want to have anything to do with that sort of god. And a god who truly understood my heart and was worthy of worship would respect my choice.

18. Jim,
    Your reply is what is known as “prejudicial conjecture,” which means you haven’t done your research very well and have bought into all the myths and fables concocted by various liberals, skeptics, et al. These claims have been responded to time and again, proving your claims to be fraudulent.

I can prove the doctrine of the Trinity from Scripture, and have done so here: http://watchmansbagpipes.blogspot.com/2010/09/trinity-proven-by-logic.html

By the way, I agree that the Romanist concept of Mary’s perpetual virginity is total unbiblical nonsense. Scripture says she had normal relations with her husband after Jesus was born, and that she had other children.

19. Jim says:

Glenn,
    If you are going to be fair, you will need to apply your claim of “prejudicial conjecture” equally to all written works that claim to be a divine revelation. Have you studied the Koran, the Hadith, the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, the various OT and NT apocrypha, and all other such works, for as many years, in the same painstaking detail, and with the same presuppositional attitude, with which you seem to have studied the Christian Bible? Is it just possible that your bias in favor of one particular holy book is a result of the culture in which you were raised? To be absolutely sure you haven’t missed the right answer, you will also need to study Zoroastrian Avesta, the Norse Eddur, the Hindu Vedas, the Pali Canon of Buddha, and dozens if not hundreds of others. There are not enough hours in a lifetime to even begin to place a fully informed Pascal’s Wager.

20. Jim,

AH, don’t jump to conclusions, lad. I have studied the Koran and various Hadiths since 2011 and am very familiar with the Islam religious beliefs and exactly how fraudulent and confusing they are – as well as what a violent belief system it is. I have studied the LDS faith for close to 40 years now, and have shelves of their stuff in my personal library – oh, and I am an ex-Mormon. And, yes, I have studied the Apocrypha – recognizing another area of information for Smith – and the Septuagint (have my own copy), etc.

And I have studied Hinduism, Buddhism, etc, etc, etc. You see, lad, studying religious beliefs is an avocation of mine. And I know without a doubt that the Christian faith is the one true belief system.

21. Jim says:

Glenn,
    I think you missed my point: you have to study them all, EQUALLY, with the same open-minded attitude of willing acceptance that you have given to Jesus, before you can say “That one doesn’t work”. And it’s logically impossible, because we have no idea how many divine revelations have been passed down to humanity on some obscure island off the coast of Borneo or whatever, over the past 200,000 years.

Look, I don’t believe in any particular supernatural being, but I am honest enough to admit that I don’t (can’t) know everything there is to be known, and I fully acknowledge that I could be wrong and there is a God (or gods). But until you are willing to make the same honest assessment, that you could be wrong, and it’s just possible that no god exists, I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to have much of a conversation. And certainly I don’t deserve the smarmy, patronizing “You see, lad” attitude you’re giving me now – please show me where I have addressed you with anything but respect.

22. Jim,
    Where does it say that I have to study all religious beliefs “equally” to know whether they are true or false systems? Logic dictates there can only be one true faith, only one true God. When one gathers enough information about a belief system to prove it is false, one doesn’t need to study more and more of false teachings.

I would suggest a good book for you to start with, “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist,” by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. I think they do a very good job of demonstrating by logic and philosophical systems that the only true God has to be a monotheistic God, and that the only true faith has to be Christianity.

My point about the LDS, which is the particular religious belief being discussed (all your other challenges are red herrings and not germane to the topic). I demonstrated that I have indeed thoroughly studied all the LDS “scripture” as well as their many other writings and publications and am very well versed in the LDS faith.

As for “You see, lad” – how in the world can you take that to be “smarmy” or “patronizing”?!?!? I could have said, “You see, sir” but I happen to like using the term “lad” and, if I know you are a youngster I would even say “laddie.” It’s just something I do because of my Scottish heritage. When you hang around people like that, as I do since I am a bagpiper, then you pick up these things. Sort of like, “Aye, lad…” Don’t be so ready to be offended.

23. Glenn,
    The topic is LDS as a false doctrine compared with mainstream Christianity. I’ve read enough of LDS scripture to satisfy myself that it’s not true, but I’ve also read enough of the Bible to come to the same conclusion about other varieties of Christianity. What matters to me is not what a person believes, but how he treats other people. I have not read Geisler and Turek, but I am familiar with all their arguments, none of which stands up to serious analysis. Like you, I believe that there is only one ultimate Truth. Unlike you, I remain unconvinced that it is the particular monotheistic god of Christianity. But I don’t want to derail this thread any further; you’re welcome to drop by my web community to discuss it if you like.

24. James says:

“A tree is known by its fruit.Jesus said do nothing in secret. Mormons have a secret scociety, not even all mormons can go into thier so called temples, secret hand shakes, secret weddings.Ann Romneys own parents could not attend thier daughters wedding they had to wait outside the “sealing chamber”. They believe God was once a man who became a God. God said “there is not another like me I have not met another like me, If I had I would tell you.” aND IF YOUR A GOOD ENOUGH MORMON YOU GET TO BE A GOD OVER YOUR OWN PLANET.Blashemy.Baptizing the dead.For the dead are dead.,But the sad part is many Christians beleive mormons are Christians.And I believe that Mitt Romney could be the beast.Joseph Smith the false prophet,But I do take comfort in the fact that God foretold all this, and said he would decieve many even the very elect if it were possible, and many are being decieved. Many of my family members are voting for him and have been in church thier whole lives.I AM NOT ENDORSING ANY CANIDATE. I dont care for any of them,but when Pat Roberson endorsed Mitt Romney and called him a Christian on Benny Hin last night my jaw dropped.I think most people are voting thier pocket book instead of The word of God,So very saddening.And yes Mormons believe in Jesus, but so do Muslims & Buddist. May Gods wisdom prevail.