Jonathan Edwards taught “Salvation by Works”!!!

All the “Easy-Believers®” who want to toss men like John MacArthur and Paul Washer under the bus for teaching that the life of a true Christian will be radically different from a Non-Christian because the believer’s life will be marked by repentance from sin, obedience to Christ, and “fruits worthy of repentance”–these “Easy-Believers®” will also have to consign the great Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards to the same fate.

***SARCASM ALERT!!!***

20 thoughts on “Jonathan Edwards taught “Salvation by Works”!!!

1. Revival – you’re missing the point. We are to beat up dead people! They can’t fight back – we can take their words out of context and twist them to the delight of our sinful flesh to “prove” they’re heretics.

Then we herald the Prince of Easy Believism – Charles Finney!

2. It’s easy to mistake “satisfied in Christ” with “smug”.

Those who want to please man are never satisfied in Christ – that’s why pictures of Finney show him with the expression of one who’s just been given a wedgie.

3. Oh boy, I sure don’t want to get lumped in with the Easy Believers (who have apparently somehow now trademarked themselves or whatever that circled R means), but it is possible (I say “possible,” not “necessary”) to disagree with some of the beliefs or teachings of men like MacArthur, Washer, and even Edwards without throwing them or their whole ministry under the bus.

Washer himself would probably get pretty huffy upon hearing Edwards proclaimed as that “great” Puritan preacher. “There are no ‘great’ men of God. We need to restrict the word ‘great’ to God Himself. There are only weak and broken and faithless men of the great and mighty and faithful God!” (Washer paraphrase)

It’s a grievous thing to see, and know, so many who think they are worshiping God, think they are following Christ, think they have been born again, yet are under the delusion of a false gospel and follow a false Christ. But for the grace of God, there go I…

5. revivalandreformation says:

And to think that we all were there at one time…God’s grace, the work of Christ on the cross and we had NOTHING to do with it.

6. Amen! ALL men deserve the wrath of God and would work for it. UNLESS the Lord intervenes – we are doomed!

Let ALL the redeemed in the Lord PRAISE HIS NAME!

7. revivalandreformation says:

We’re like a bunch of dodos who think we can fly, waving our atrophied stubs, stumbling toward a massive cliff overlooking jagged rocks. Only by God’s grace does He reach down and swoop us up in His arms and save us from our certain doom. The grace of God consistently brings me to tears, and always will. Praise God people…

8. papapatriot says:

When I first saw the header “Salvation by works” I thought the video was going to say we are saved by works,which we are saved by works namely Jesus’ works on our behalf.

9. @MiniostryAddict–I certainly did not mean to elevate these men and their ministries to the level of Scripture, or ascribe to them more honor than they would ever accept themselves. However, the apostle Paul does encourage us to look to godly men and use their lives as a pattern for our own. Philippians 3:17–“Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.” That was my only intention.

@papapatriot–I thought that would get people’s attention, while at the same time turning the tactics of the Easy-Believer® against them.

Bottom line is this: whether it is Washer or Conway, Spurgeon, Calvin or MacArthur, when evaluating the things taught by men, the first and foremost authority is Scripture. Contrary to what the Easy-Believer® may say, we do not accept the things these men taught simply because they taught them. We accept what these men teach because they are echoing the things taught in the Scriptures.

10. Bill F says:

The Bible:
    Acts 16:30,31 – “And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”
    Romans 10:13 – “For whosoever shall call upon the nme of the Lord shall be saved.”
    1 Cor 14:33 – “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.”
    Ecc 3:14 – “I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.”
    Lordship heresey is the confusion brought on by (either a voluntary or involuntary) blurring of sonship vs. (and I truely mean vs.) fellowship.
    Philippians 2:13 – “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.”
    The condition: believe.
    After belief, the consequence of a stubborn, fruitless life: 1 Cor. 3:11-15 – “11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. 14If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”
    An ungrateful son is still a son. A lazy son is still a son. The Bible outlines the qualifications of sonship. God is good NOT because of a false religion that has Hell nipping at the Christian’s heals. God is good because THE BIBLE TEACHES He’ll even call a bum like Lot JUST.
    In closing: more a collective cry to Lordship followers than a personal afront: who hurt you?
    I fear that stern parents who have stressed performance and discipline over love have fueled this doctrine…good, broken-hearted people projecting a visage of disappointment onto a faceless God.
    “….not of works….lest any man should boast.”

11. Let’s site the Bible, not famous proponents of a false doctrine (even the best ones were often wrong).

OK, let’s cite the Bible, shall we?

Ephesians 2:10–For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
    Philippians 2:12–Therefore, my beloved…work out your own salvation with fear and trembling
    James 2:26–For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Let’s also examine the words of our Lord Himself. John 15:1-10–“Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.” Does a man plant a vineyard so he can have some pretty branches to look at? No. He plants a vineyard to produce fruit. And what does he do with those branches that do not produce fruit? He cuts them off, tosses them out and burns them.

And what does Christ say about those who do not do good works as evidence of their salvation? Matthew 25:33-36–“And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'” Either (a) Jesus was preaching heresy or (b) Jesus expected believers to do good works.

In that same passage this is what He tells those who do not do good works, Matthew 25:41-43–“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’” Jesus seems to have some harsh language for those who simply sit on their “faith” and do nothing.

In closing: more a collective cry to “easy-believer” followers than a personal affront: what sin do you love more than you love Christ?
    I fear that lazy and overly tolerant parents who have stressed acceptance over righteousness have fueled this heresy of “easy-believism”…slothful, sinful people projecting a visage of acceptance of sin onto a God who doesn’t care about sin.

12. fleebabylon says:

“what sin do you love more than you love Christ?”
    I dont know, Ill get back to you when I’m done with my daily ritual of watching filty tv shows and being a professional sports nut.

Jesus: Why do you call me Lord Lord and do not do what I say?
    False Convert: Because Jesus, we prayed a prayer and believe that we believe.

13. Lauren C says:

For by Grace you have been saved, and this is not of yourselves ….. I think it’s clear, but maybe it’s not yet to some here…. oddly it isn’t clear yet… BUT , to all of us it wasn’t clear until the Lord Himself opened our eyes to His sovereign grace and His salvation.
    Do you have faith IN your faith or your works or do you have faith IN the LORD? I rest on His finished work and the work HE will accomplish through me and I am grateful for His sanctification: not confusing it with salvation – AMEN.

14. The Master's Slave says:

Do we bear the marks of a slave? Are we being scourged by our Master? A daily process of purification of the world and its ways is vital to our growth and salvation. Not through our efforts but through God’s.