14 thoughts on “Quiz: What points sinners to Christ?

1. CPCIV says:

I recently came from a Bible Study where a subject discussed was relating to people who are not Saved. There was a example of where one of the ministers went into a club to ask people what they thought about Christ, Chritians, etc..

I disagreed with going into the club because the whole atmosphere of the night club. I gave the example of that I was in the parking lot while people were entering to talk about Christ with them. The teacher emphasized that she was not evangelizing, but just asking questions about wher they stood with Christ, Christians, church etc…

Well I put the point would it be okay for a Christian to enter a Strip Club and do the same approach as she did. And the response was “Thats a whole different ball park”. He gave scripture of the woman at the well and Zaccheus, but I dont believe the woman at the well was in a atmosphere promoting sin and nothing else. And Zaccheus was looking to see Jesus and Jesus found him.. so…

Whats your understanding on this “meet people where they are scenarios? Thanks..

2. Jay says:

The poll doesn’t really make sense, due to the wording of the question.
    Many things can “point” sinners to Christ, including gospel tracts and street preaching, and even potentially how a Christian lives (being salt & light).
    And the Law of God doesn’t technically point sinners to Christ, it provides the conviction of their sinful state. Without the gospel message itself, it doesn’t point them anywhere, it just condemns.
    So really, not a very good poll.

3. Brian Of the Hill People says:

I went with the Law of God, though other things listed can point sinners to Christ. I felt the Law was probably the largest contributing method, in my limited experience, at least. But we all know passages, such as the conduct of a believing wife perhaps winning her unbelieving husband without a word.

I believe the real question is: Who points sinners to Christ? And I’d answer, ‘the Holy Spirit.’ It is the Spirit who removes a heart of stone and places a heart of flesh. The Spirit opens blind eyes and unstops deaf ears. I’d opine that the Spirit makes the method effective, the method of itself does nothing.

4. Jay:

What is it that the Bible says points a sinner to Christ?

Before rejecting the poll, consider that the BEST answer is found in the Bible.

- Pilgrim

P.S. For those voting for “Other,” can you please leave a comment in regards to what the “Other” is? Thanks.

5. James Pratt says:

I voted other, and wrote in GOD our HEAVENLY FATHER, JESUS CHRIST, The HOLY SPIRIT, and GOD’S WORD. The capitals are there neither for shouting nor emphasis, but for reverence. We capitalize: the first letter of our own names; I; proper nouns; and the first letter of a sentence. And then we say we revere GOD’S Name by capitalizing the first letter of any word that references him? I don’t buy it.

It is interesting to read the other responses after voting. I understand the views expressed. All of the options listed can “point” anyone to CHRIST. However, we only know the ONE TRUE AND LIVING GOD through HIS WORD. I was pointed to CHRIST in every way, but through HIS WORD. Yet I only truly knew HIM after reading about HIM in HIS WORD, because nobody revealed HIM to me in a forthright, totally honest, and loving way. I write in a loving way, not because people weren’t nice. They were just never forthright and totally honest. And if you are not willing to be forthright and totally honest, you are not loving. Therefore, you must understand that nice isn’t loving. Nice typically equals compromise. Now I know someone will reference 1 Peter 3: 15, and I say Amen. However, we should witness with the TRUTH – HIS WORD, not compromising so as to gain friends, and not offend, but with the TRUTH – HIS WORD, with gentleness and respect.

We live in a John 3:16 and Jeremiah 29: 11 world of evangelism, and do not realize that we are to know, value, and learn the whole counsel of GOD’S WORD. Yes, these verses are beautiful verses. However, they are taken from their context. All of the verses in the Bible are beautiful verses. Even when they testify about us being evil, wicked, GOD haters, and I was certainly all of those. So were some of you, and so is everyone without faith in CHRIST. All of the verses are beautiful, most importantly because they testify about our HEAVENLY FATHER, HIS SON , and HIS HOLY SPIRIT. Thank YOU LORD for saving an unworthy wretched sinner like me.

6. Jay says:

Pilgrim: As others have noted, if the question is “Who points…”, the answer is the Holy Spirit, which is not an option in the poll.

If the question is “What points…”, the answer is whatever the Holy Spirit chooses to use to communicate the gospel message — which could be any of several things listed as poll options, or other things not listed — but all of which find their source in the gospel message itself, which again is also not an option in the poll. (i.e., “the gospel” or even “the Bible” would have been a proper option.)

In either case, whether Who or What, the best answer is not provided as one of the voting options, hence the high volume of “Other” votes.

I think we all get your underlying point about it not being any of the post-modern methodologies, but at the same time, due to the wording of the question and our desire to answer the poll properly, we’re kind of stuck with Other. :)

7. Jay:

I completely see your point. If I asked “who,” then the Holy Spirit would be the answer. But I am asking ‘what.” And now (to help avoid further confusion) I’m narrowing that down in the comments to: What exactly is it that THE BIBLE SAYS points sinners to Christ? (I’m not yelling, just drawing attention to the key element.)

I see your confusion, but when I reveal to you the answer (with Scripture), then perhaps you’ll see the point I was trying to make.

But I know it’s not all that lost in translation, as many others are ‘getting it.’

One more hint: The answer is found in one of the epistles of the New Testament.

Perhaps I’ll give the answer later today or tomorrow. Then you’ll slap your forehead and either say, “aha,” or “I should have had a V8.” :o)

And my underlying point isn’t about the “post-modern methodologies” as much as it’s a lesson in what exactly it is that points sinners to Christ.

Stay tuned.

Sincerely,
    - Pilgrim

8. papapatriot says:

I picked “the Law” because it showed me that I was a sinner, lost and on my way to hell, and of need of one greater than I, I needed one who was and is perfect in every way, to satisfy the rightful wrath of God, Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

9. Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, papapatriot! (LOL)

Yes, indeed, for it is written: “Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.” – Galatians 3:24

This was the exact point I was making, and many (most) of you who have voted thus far, got it correct.

- Pilgrim

10. Jay says:

Pilgrim (and papapatriot): Cool, thanks.

It doesn’t say it “points” us to Christ though, lol. ;)

Even in other English word-for-word translations:
    ESV: “So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. ”
    NASB: “Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. ”

Regardless, I am thankful for the Law’s purpose in bringing me to Christ, too! :)

11. Brian Of the Hill People says:

Amen. The Law lets us know we just aren’t cutting it. If one offends in any one point, one is guilty of all of it. The Law crushes all hope of ‘pulling it off.’

It leaves a sinner desperate for an impossible remedy, namely one which satisfies God perfect and holy justice, instills a righteousness not inherent or able to be earned by the sinner in any way whatsoever, and provides an acceptable way for God to pardon an unjust enemy who hated Him without a cause while maintaining His perfect justice.

Of course, while impossible for the sinner, all things are possible for the King of Glory. Without Him, we can do nothing.

That Law makes us ravenous for that Good News which is that Jesus Christ satisfied the requirements of the Law for His people, made acceptable propiation for the just wrath of God as deemed by Himself, and atoned for the grievious iniquities of His people against the inifinite holiness and honor of His Father by His own infinitely worthy life’s blood and merit.

What a worthless dead dog I am that at my best, of myself, I fall well short of the glory of God. Blessed be the name of the Lord my Righteousness.

12. Jeff H says:

Amen!

In fact, Romans 7:7-25 describes the mirror (the Law) that shows us how bad off we really are…

How would we know we needed a cure if we did not know we were sick?

How would we know we needed a savior if we did not know how lost we really were?

7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. 10 The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. 11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. 15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Great post Pilgrim!