“The Roman Road to Wrath” by Brannon Howse.

Back in June of 2008 I published a piece on the downward spiral of sin entitled The Evolution of Sin. In similar fashion I recently discovered the following piece by Brannon Howse from May of 2009 entitled The Roman Road to Wrath: Five Consequences for a Nation that Rejects God. The parallels between Paul’s admonitions and America’s current condition (as described in both posts) are inescapable.

The Roman Road to Wrath

Five Consequences for a Nation that Rejects God

By Brannon Howse

Ideas-and the actions they produce-have consequences, and the Bible is very specific about what a nation will reap when it rejects God. America is already experiencing the results of the ideological path it has been wandering. Lawlessness and disorder have their roots in our continually snubbing the God of the Bible.

Chapter 1 of Romans delineates five specific national consequences for denying God. To be sure, there are others outlined in Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and elsewhere in the Old Testament, but in this article I will focus just on Paul’s warnings because they are so explicit and frighteningly relevant to what is happening in America today.

1. The nation that continually rejects God becomes a nation of fools.

Romans 1:21-22:
Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools.

According to verse 21, people become futile, vain, and useless. Their hearts become darkened, allowing them to be seduced into accepting spiritual lies.

Verse 22 points out that even though they profess to be wise, they actually become fools. This refers specifically to the extremes men will go to in order to justify their sin and false beliefs about God. Situational ethics, moral relativism, and postmodernism are all methods used to justify rebellion against the character and nature of God. (And remember Psalm 14:1? It tells us that it’s the fool that says in his heart there is no God. America has denied God and the need for His existence in every area of life.)

2. The nation that continually rejects God accepts pagan spirituality.

Romans 1:25:
Who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Pagan spirituality centers on the worship of nature, yet its ultimate goal is to sidestep feeling guilt-for anything. Our world has moved from theism to atheism to pantheism, the belief that “god is all and all is god and all is one.” The Denver Post in June 2008 reported that pagan spirituality is doubling in America every 18 months.

3. The nation that continually rejects God accepts homosexuality as normal.

Romans 1:26-27:
For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another. Men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
Acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle as “normal” is evidenced in our nation’s schools, television programs, movies, and even some churches. Courts throughout the nation seek to legalize same-sex marriage. A number of states have implemented “hate crimes” legislation that allow legal action against individuals for publicly sharing their objections to the homosexual lifestyle.

4. The nation that continually rejects God becomes debased and
violent.

Romans 1:28:

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting.

A blatant example of our cultural debasement, in 1993 Ruth Bader Ginsburg was confirmed by a 96 to 3 vote of the U. S. Senate to serve as a Supreme Court justice. The bizarre worldview of this woman seemed to make no difference to the proceedings. Earlier in her career while serving as an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, Ginsburg wrote a paper entitled “Sex Bias in the U.S. Code,” prepared for the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in April 1977. Among its perverse conclusions, the paper recommends lowering the age of consent for sexual acts to 12 years old.

An article in U.S. News & World Report further reveals just how off-base we’ve become. In John Leo’s “No-fault Holocaust,” he reports a remarkable observation about how college students perceive the World War II Nazi genocide:

In 20 years of college teaching, Prof. Robert Simon has never met a student who denied that the Holocaust happened. What he sees quite often, though, is worse: students who acknowledge the fact of the Holocaust but can’t bring themselves to say that killing millions of people is wrong. Usually they deplore what the Nazis did, but their disapproval is expressed as a matter of taste or personal preference, not moral judgment. “Of course I dislike the Nazis,” one student told Simon, “but who is to say they are morally wrong?”[1]

5. The nation that continually rejects God produces judicial, legislative
and executive branches of government that approve of and encourage
immorality and corruption.

Romans 1:32:
Who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Numerous examples point to America’s judicial, legislative, and executive branches approval of immorality and corrupt behavior, but two court cases in particular make clear this point:

(1) 1973-The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that abortion is protected by a legal right of privacy.

(2) 2003-The U.S. Supreme Court declared unconstitutional the Texas law that makes homosexual acts illegal. The decision struck down sodomy laws in 11 states.
My point in outlining these five indications of national moral failure is not that I want God to judge our nation. I fear His wrath too much for that. However, there is hope in knowing that a just Judge is in charge and that He will not wink at sin. He holds everyone accountable which means that all have the potential to repent. We can pray God’s judgment will cause people to turn from their sins and trust in Jesus Christ. We can also pray that His call to accountability will purify the American church and ultimately take our country on a new road, to God’s glory and honor.

[1] U.S. News & World Report, July 21, 1997, p. 14.

20 thoughts on ““The Roman Road to Wrath” by Brannon Howse.

America? No doubt. But more and more I see Rom.1 describing the Emerging Church in detail, complete with the growing acceptance of homosexuality.

2. Wade says:

I personally believe that America is experiencing a downward spiral due to God’s progressively increasing wrath of abandonment. Progressively, I believe, that God is removing His hand of restraint to allow (in His sovereignty) increasing depravity and calamity. We can witness this on the news with increasing reports of children murdering other children, parents killing their own children (this also includes abortion), children killing parents, etc. Sin gives birth to death, if you will – James 1:15.

I personally believe that Obama being elected is a form of God’s wrath of abandonment. I think God is handing the country over to what it wanted the same as He tells us that He gave them over to their lusts in the first part of Romans.

I believe that God is allowing the global economy to tank because the world is putting it’s trust in money instead of God. The world has made money it’s god and God is going to humiliate their god the same as Elija humiliated Baal.

Maybe, in the grace of God, after the President, political ideologies and money has ultimately failed to meet the needs of the world, people may turn to God in their brokenness and in doing so truly learn about Him and love Him by receiving the gospel and by doing this truly have a heart for God by being reborn again according to His will in accordance to His good pleasure based after His own counsel. When I say this I do not by any means wish to imply that God is a big cosmic teddy bear that is only good for providing us with material needs, etc. It is my hope that it is possible that by not having needs met and by being shown the failure of ideologies that people will be motivated to search for the truth and in doing so will receive Him after they hear the gospel in their search.

May it all be for His glory!

3. brother Michael says:

Actually what is happening with America started long before Obama. It is just that much more evil is coming to fruition today as sin grows and the tentacles of the globalists expand deeper into our lives. Yet much evil and destroying of freedom has happened under the Republican administrations even as it has under the Democrats. One of the problems is that evangelicals are classically duped whenever a Republican is in office as they take the bate offered via the Hegelian dialectic. This because most believe: Republican = God’s blessed servant; Democrat = God’s enemy.

GWB is a perfect case in point whose record was atrocious yet most evangelicals thought he could do no wrong.

Same would have been true with McCain where if he were elected all the evangelicals would have gone back to slumber dreaming sweet dreams that all was well with America and that God had answered their prayers. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I pray for America, yet if God does turn us over to the barbarians and completely gives us up to the ravening globalists seeking to overthrow us and establish their global world order, I pray that it will be to his glory. Of course I know it will be for the Lord has those in derision who seek to rebuild Babylon and one day they will be as the chaff driven away by the wind where no place will be found for them ever again.

4. brother Michael says:

Ooops – Typo; I meant bait not bate in the sentence: “duped whenever a Republican is in office as they take the bate offered…”

5. Wade says:

I think I agree with everything you have said brother Michael but I’m not sure if I completely understand everything you have said thus far.

I am one, for example, that has been duped. I bought into political ideologies and political affiliations. It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the Republican party is God’s party when it’s not. The Republican Party may talk about God, etc. but it is out for itself, be rest assured of that. I heard GWB on a radio interview last year and was shocked at the things he said in regards to theological matters. He sounded like a postmodern secularist. I don’t want to get into specifics from my poor memory but make that statement on a lasting impression.

I also agree with what you said about McCain. I did not put any hope in the man but am sure you are right when you say that if he had won, it would’ve portrayed as if it was God’s will and everything was going to be alright.

When talking about America and how political affiliations portray God, it reminds me of the post that was up the other week; the one about the different kinds of Jesus’ that people worship and how there is an “American” Jesus that we pray to at football games and cookouts and praise at Easter, etc.

I didn’t, however, fully understand your Babylon comment. Would you please to further elaborate on that comment? Are you referring to “end times” eschatology? I have to admit that eschatology is a very weak field of concentration for me. I know it means a lot to a lot of people but I’ve always considered it a non-essential issue; I hope I’m not in error.

Thank you for any clarification you can make for me.

God bless,

6. revivalandreformation says:

Thanks for this article. So very true and so very sad.

There is a blog that I have tried to comment on, but my words seem to have absolutely no effect. maybe your readers who are quite well-versed in the Holy Word of God, might want to add their two bits worth as well. I find that with blogs such as the one below, the talk is constantly “out with the old, and in with the new…” Just because the Gospel “seems” to be not working with the up and comers, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Just because I can sit in my car and curse it til the cows come home because it won’t start doesn’t mean something’s wrong with the the car, it means I am not applying the right measures to make the car go. Did I turn the key? Do I have the key to begin with? Are those who are striving to revamp the Gospel truly Christians to begin with? Or are they the tares that Jesus warned us about? A true Christian would never think for a second about revamping Christianity, the Bible or the Gospel message. He knows it’s perfect and that’s that.

Let’s let these people know at the link above, that we are out there, and we won’t stand around and let our precious Jesus and His selfless sacrifice be trampled on…

7. A quick question for you all…

If abandonment of God’s precepts is partly responsible for the decline in America’s strength/stability/happiness/morality (whatever standard you choose to assess the success or failure of the country as a whole), how do you explain the prosperity being experienced by one of the most godless countries on the planet: China?

By most standards, China is a nation full of people who reject the Christian God. Whether they’re mostly atheists or agnostics or believe in something “abiblical”, they can be placed squarely in the group of folks whom God should be angry at. And yet, they’re going through an economic and democratic renaissance that threatens to upset the balance of power.

Simply put, if America turning away from God is what’s causing us problems as a nation, shouldn’t China be in a much worse position?

8. revivalandreformation says:

I believe this is evidence of the enemy blessing his own (China) who have openly and completely rejected Jesus Christ. America on the other hand still has a cardboard cut-out up that says “In God We Trust”. This is kind of like saying having a form of godliness but denying the power thereof…

Satan blesses his own.

God blesses His own.

The diffrence being Satan will usually lavish his servants with material goods, while God will usually bless us with more responsibility, more work, and what usually accompanies this is more persecution. The difference is one doesn’t care about your long term welfare but the other does.

9. Darrel says:

To be sure America (the land that I love) is being judged with righteous judgment from the Hand of God. As more and more facts of the socialist takeover signed into law last Tuesday by the usurper from Kenya-Barry Soetero, aka obama-this judgment will become more apparent to the nation as a whole as the world watches and laughs.

If Bro. Howse had read a few verses into Roman’s 2 he would have found that it is never the judgment of God that causes repentance, but His GOODNESS (2:4) From pharaoh and before all the way to the end of Revelaton and beyond the judgment of God was not meant to induce repentance. The judgment of God is what it is: jugdment. When his judgment begins it is already too late. The only exception to this is God’s chosen. Even with His chosen it is still His Goodness that is the ultimate motivator that leads to repentance and restoration. The small chastenings (judgments, if you will) that we endure are temporal, not eternal as is the judgment spoken of in Rom.’s 1 and elsewhere. If the judgment of God could bring about repentance then hell itself would eventually be empty of ALL of it’s occupants. This ain’t gonna happen.

I can no longer request or pray to my Father that He bless America. With the 180 shift in our national policy toward Israel this would mean that God would have to oppose Himself. Something He will never do. Gen. 12:3: “I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you…”. My Father’s promise to Abram which He will never break!

My prayer is for His Bride, that we would “be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and lenghth and depth and height- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fulness of God.”

10. Wade says:

Whateverman,

I think that Romans 9:15 can easily address your question;

“For He says to Moses, “I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.”

Although I believe we are experiencing a portion of God’s wrath, I never meant to imply that God is blindly obligated to follow a set of contingencies. If we, as a country, were to succumb to Godly obedience, there would be no guarantee that we would live as a trouble free nation. People would still die, nations would still hate us and we would continue to face struggles and problems because we still live in a wold tainted with sin.

God is full of great patience and it may be that He is giving China patience because regardless of all of the atrocities that they are guilty of, it is reported that the gospel is flourishing there. God may be bestowing great patience on China so that He may save His elect.

I try not to speculate too much on God’s will because its hard to see what He is doing until after He has already done it and has shown us His “revealed will.”

I hope that this makes sense?

11. Thanks for the reply, Wade. I’m not sure how much sense it makes, although I’m not suggesting the idea is senseless. For me, it simply raises more questions than it answers.

But I do appreciate your response, as well as your candor regarding full understanding coming only after God’s judgement or will has come to pass. Thanks.

12. Wade says:

Whateverman,

When thinking of China, please consider this below;

Luke 9:52-56
    and He sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to make arrangements for Him.

53But they did not receive Him, because He was traveling toward Jerusalem.

54When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?”

55But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of;

56for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village.

Please also consider;

2 Corinthians 7:8-10
    8For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it–for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while–

9I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

10For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

I think its important to note that God has a heart of love and He takes no pleasure in sending the wicked to hell but would rather for them to repent (Ezekial 18:23). Sometimes things that happen in the world that brings sorrow may be God leading men to repentance out of His goodness that was referenced in another post mentioning Romans 2. God is patient, however, His patience has a limit and runs out as it did with Israel all throughout the Old Testament (OT). Irrespective of what is happening in the world today, we should rest assure it is all under His sovereign control and is being carried out for His glory. We should remain obedient to Him and continue to deliver the gospel as He has commanded us to do.

I hope this has helped clear up some things and not add to more confusion.

God bless,

13. brother Michael says:

Hi Wade –
    You are not alone my brother in being duped; I do not think there is a one of us who has not been. Myself most assuredly included in this list where I still at times do not know who to believe and who not to. The level of deception in our nation and our world is so great that if the cloak were fully removed I am confident we would be crushed under the tremendous weight of the vastness of the evil.

In terms of Babylon, yes, in part I’m referring to “end times” but not in a Tim Lahaye, dispensational way (I’m a historicist). Rather, it seems to me that from the day the Lord scattered the nations that rebelliously gathered at Babel, they have been diligently seeking to come back together and consummate their nefarious plans to be one.

This we can see throughout history where in modern times we have things such as the League of Nations, the United Nations, the World Council of Churches, the European Union, NAFTA, CAFTA, etc. All being a coalescing of forces to remove the individual and create the whole (think Borg if you remember this from Star Trek years ago).

All of this, I firmly believe, will continue to accelerate lest the Lord throw a proverbial monkey wrench in the works. High on the list of the globalists is the destruction/disarming of America. A nation that is a shell of what she use to be. Most major cities are war zones, our jobs and industries have been shipped overseas to China, India, Mexico and elsewhere, our dollar is quickly becoming worthless and is in jeopardy of losing its reserve status, we are a debtor nation, upwards of 20% or more of the population are unemployed (don’t believe the #’s on the news as they are lies – see Shadow Stats), we are swimming in a moral cesspool, we are engaged in un-Constitutional wars throughout the world, we are being overrun by illegal aliens, our courts are corrupt as sin, etc., etc.

I shudder to think what this nation will be that we will leave to our children and grandchildren.

What helped me was researching things via the Internet, and as painful as it was (my whole world view was crushed), I came to see that things are far, far from what they are presented to be by the major media (CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN, et al). These agencies are nothing more than propaganda instruments of the elitists who control these organizations. As the saying goes, follow the money.

Blessings to you!

14. Hello DefCon and it’s faithful readers,

As a sidenote I just wanted to alert you to a little side project of mine:

matthewmjohnston.wordpress.com

Thanks.

In His grip,
    Matthew

15. Stand says:

I am from China and I can see there is huge changes going on spiritually in China in the last 20 years. The cultural revelotion did a lot of damage to the Chinese culture by destroying a lot of historical buildings and objects, it also destroyed most of the idols and provided the chinese younger generation with a nearly idol free environment. I have heard that there are 10% christians in China nowadays and they are sincere christians with a heart to search God. Though China is getting more prosperous recently but the general public are still mostly living in a below standard condition. I can also see more religious freedom in the last 10 years. I even expereienced a planting of a church there with prayers myself. Most of the christians are still in difficult times though but we also see the spreading of Gospels in the difficult times of Acts. I believe God is using China greatly in the spreading of Gospels in the future.
    I also have lots of friends from the west and though most of them were born in christian families and go to christian schools, probably less than 3% of them really believe in Jesus. I remember when Obama visited Turkey, he spoke in the public that America is not a christian country any more. A statement made by an elected president of America does represent the America people and it is an important statement telling God, we do not belong to You any more, so remove you dealing with us! And we will see the consequence in the future unless somebody repent.

16. Wade says:

Stand,

Thank you for your contribution to this discussion! Thank you for providing us with an insider’s point of view. I hope that the gospel continues to permeate all through out your country and that the glory of God is known in all corners of your country as well. I hope our brothers in sisters in Christ know how much we love them and how that they are in our prayers.

God bless you brother!

In His love,

17. Here’s an insightful quote that is somewhat helpful by Michael S.Horton on “the culture wars”;

“In the nineteenth century, the moral crusade was very much a part of the American gospel. It was very important to have an American culture, an American church, an American religion, etc. And as Protestant denominations began to lose their hegemony over these institutions they increasingly downplayed theology and doctrine in order to form alliances with those who were on the right side of the political spectrum. One of the things I argue in Beyond Culture Wars is that the kingdoms of this world and the kingdom of God are two different kingdoms, a distinction that seems to be lost from both the Christian right and Christian left. Coming from the Reformed traditional tradition that has taken this world very seriously­ I have a lot of respect for my forebears who in this country founded Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale, and other institutions. They were trailblazers in all kinds of disciplines, and yet they knew that there was another world that was not only more important, but another world that helped us interpret this world. Evangelicals have lost that theological ballast by and large­ which, by the way, has been pointed out by more secular historians and commentators than evangelical ones and because of that loss of spiritual and theological ballast, we end up parroting whatever the world says or whatever was on Oprah’s last show, perhaps with Bible verses attached to it.”

“We used to call the confusion of politics and the gospel­saving the nation vs. saving indidviduals­ heresy in mainline denominations in the sixties. But now evangelicals adopt the social gospel mentality because, after all, it’s now the right politics. Part of the problem in this business is entitlement. Everyone is out for his or her piece of the pie. Not only is Christianity in danger of being increasingly confused with American culture in general­ those of you who travel abroad know exactly how many people recognize evangelicalism as an American phenomenon ­but it is, even further than that, in danger of being confused with white, middle class, suburban American culture. I’m not critical of the Christian Coalition, for example, for its particular policy positions. It’s a free country and they represent a large segment of society. My problem is confusing that with Christianity, which I think it does.”

“Christianity won its way to dominance by sound arguments. Stephen in the book of Acts is emblematic of this, for when men began to argue with him, “they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke” (Acts 6:10). Evangelicals today focus on the people in power, and either lionize them, as in the case of Reagan, or demonize them, as in the case of Clinton. They should focus not on the people but on the ideas in power. I think that is crucial to focus on in the discussion of the culture wars.” – Michael S.Horton

Taken from article title “Religion and Politics: A Roundtable Discussion”

18. Hal says:

Titus 3:3: “For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our lie in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another.”

I have been trying to look at levels of sin where a person seems to cross a line from redeemable sinner to those who have made their choice of paths for eternity. There is a combined level of lying, malice, deception, depravity, and pathological criminality that is “justified by some sort of political/religious belief that would make it hard for any sane person to defend.

What worries me is that there no longer seems to be any Christians in government who will stand up for their oaths and against the obvious criminals and crimes being committed? If there are there, are they more worried about losing their pension than their souls, or not in positions to do anything at all? As much as America has claimed to be a Christian country, it would be hard to prove in a court using the Bible as the standard. The evidence seems to lead to a Zionist client state.

Many seem to acknowledge crimes and sin, but few have any answers or indictments. Europe seems to be making some attempts.