What would your church do with $130,000,000.00?

Apparently First Baptist Dallas has chosen to spend that amount of money on a church building. Of course, had this news come out sooner I would have certainly included it in my post How To Know If Your Church Isn’t Spending Enough On Missions.

Here’s a quote from The Church Report article on this $130 million dollar church project:

DALLAS,TX– The congregation of First Baptist Church Dallas today overwhelmingly affirmed recommended plans to proceed with a $130 million capital campaign to build an expansive new 1.5 million square foot, state-of-the-art campus, making it the largest church building program in modern history, according to church fundraising experts.

The CrossTalk Blog quotes house-church pastor, Ken Eastburn who hits the proverbial nail on the head:

“If the church is to be God’s plan for the world, the vessel by which the Good News of his redemption spreads, we are going to need to learn how to reach out to culture without becoming it. Expensive buildings don’t scream ‘we have been redeemed,’ they scream, ‘we are just like you.’ And that certainly isn’t the message that Jesus was nailed to a cross for.”

Pastor Ken Eastburn also lists on his blog some of the amenities that this new church building is expecting to have:

• 1.5 million square feet
  • LEED certified (its green and energy efficient)
  • Glass structure
  • Stone water tower topped with a luminescent cross
  • Common area for downtown residents and guests
  • 3,000 seat worship center (on the second story)
  • 7 high-definition screens
  • Choir and Orchestra pit
  • Senior adult education center (under the sanctuary)
  • 300-space underground parking garage
  • 6-story education building for children/youth ministries
  • 2 side-by-side gymnasiums
  • Children’s play areas
  • Outdoor concert space
  • Adjacent parking garage with 500-plus parking spaces

After pondering yet another example of the staggering excess of American Christianity, this story would not be complete without directing your attention to the short video on this previous DefCon post (a video that I have not been able to bring myself to watching twice). It serves to do the above story justice by way of a necessary comparison and a much needed, sobering, priority-correcting, reality check.

56 thoughts on “What would your church do with $130,000,000.00?

1. We had a business meeting last night at church where the 2010 budget was presented.

Question –

What, roughly or ball park, should be the percentage spent on missions in relation to the total budget?

We have two designations of missions: World and Local.

In realation to the first question above; what should be the percentage split that goes to world and local?

Thanks -

2. The way I look at the question of how much money is being spent on facilities is to figure how many Bibles could be sent to struggling Christians in “3rd world countries”. At $4 per Bible – delivered, via http://bibleleague.org/ – $130M would send 32 million Bibles to China, India, North Korea, etc., and leave $500,000 for the facility.

Christians do not need fancy temples such as this one. Goats do.

3. Ken Eastburn says:

Thanks much for the encouraging words. It is disheartening to know how much this building is going to cost FBC. I actually have an email out to one of the staff members asking what percentage of their budget goes to missions/outreach.

I haven’t received a response. Honestly, I don’t expect to.

For them, this building is outreach, it is missions. They expect the building to communicate the transformative love of God to the people in Dallas.

I fear…and expect…just the opposite.

4. To someone who lives about 20 minutes away from Dallas, this is especially saddening. I know several members of the Christian community right here who are struggling financially… that money could be used as such a blessing to the larger community here in Dallas instead of spending it on a fancy building.

5. I used to live in Corinth, Texas and work in Plano. I met with men each Friday at the former location of Prestonwood Baptist – a large facility. They built a $62 million new campus in Plano (http://www.prestonwood.org/plano/i-am-new/locations/) that had stained glass windows (one for each book of the Bible) that cost $600,000 – which was the total budget for the new building FBC Corinth was building at the same time.

These modern cathedrals thrill the flesh, as do the old, dead temples in Europe and the new, vibrant sports temples in this country.

But they have no currency for the one has been bought by the blood of the Lamb.

My former church in Houston spent money on a number of flat screen TVs so people could watch the service in myriad places around the medium sized campus. Those who made that choice could not understand my revulsion at it.

The Lord tells us that no flesh will glory in His presence. What does anyone think such extravagant religious building do?

6. First, read this quote from the pastor CEO/Manager of FBC.

As I look around downtown Dallas, I see spectacular temples of commerce, of culture and of government – many new, some restored to former glory, and all intended to stand for generations. The Kingdom of God needs a home to equal them – a spiritual oasis in the middle of downtown. (emphasis mine – TDP)

Pastor, Dr. Robert Jeffress
    First Baptist Church, Dallas

This man is so far out in left field, he can no longer see the stadium! “The Kingdom of God” being equated to his new, precious, extravagant $130 million treasure on earth! This is so disgusting, I am almost at a loss for words.

Just for comparison, let’s see what just $1 million (1/130th of the FBC budget for their “kingdom”) would do in a place like West Africa. It would allow 100 different congregations around the country to build their own church facility that would easily sit 100-150 people or more. The problem is there are not 100 different evangelical congregations in countries like Liberia. You could even add the immediate countries around Liberia and still not find 100 congregations!

You could also build 50 buildings for 50 different or brand-new congregations, AND have enough to fully support the 50 pastors of those 50 congregations for over 50 years each at a salary of $150 per month!

Now, I wonder how places like FBC will explain this to the Lord. “Lord, Lord, have we not done all these things in Your Name…..!”

7. From the article:

“For more than 140 years, God has put First Baptist Church at the center of Dallas, the nation’s fastest-growing city in the heart of America,” Dr. Jeffress continued. “Jerry Jones recently unveiled a new $1.2 billion ‘temple to sport.’ In these tough economic times, why can’t we use our gifts to build a church building that provides a spiritual oasis and matches the splendor and majesty of God?”

From the Word of God, it could just as appropriately addressed to the men of Dallas:

“Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.”

The answer to “pastor” Jeffress is that NO BUILDING can provide “a spiritual oasis and matches the splendor and majesty of God”. Only a deceived fool would think otherwise. He looks to the SPORTS cult as his standard!

May God have mercy.

8. Disgusting. Just disgusting. My eyes are bleeding.

–From someone who wants pretty much nothing more than to spend the rest of his career/life on the mission field but who is having trouble getting funding.

9. Rhology,

If you cannot get overseas, may I recommend you visit downtown Dallas. Oh wait, that is not a mission field white unto harvest, that is where the “kingdom of God” is now present. Better look at Houston, TX instead around Osteen Blvd, home of another “Our building is our idol of worship!”

Seriously, may I encourage to continue in your desire to go to the mission field, no matter how long it takes to get the funding. The need for missions and missionaries is greater than ever. May you know the blessing of the Lord as you seek to serve Him, hopefully in places where they have never heard the gospel.

The Desert Pastor

10. shane says:

I think a lot of “churches” believe that if you have a building with a lot of gimmics it will “bring in the world” so you can evangelize to it. The problem is is that they have it backwards.

I am still trying to figure out how a church can borrow money and call it “trusting in the Lord” to provide funds???????. I figure if He wants you to have the money, you wouldn’t have to borrow it.

11. Shane, there is a religious organization in our area that has built a $4 million dollar building and the interest alone is $20,000 per month. Using the same kind of figures, a $130 million dollar building amounts to about $650,000 per month in interest only!

12. Ken Eastburn says:

To their credit (perhaps the only thing to their credit), they plan to pay with cash and already have $60 million raised.

13. I find it interesting that they claim the kingdom of God is at their church. Do they think they are the only ones that have God? Do they think God’s kingdom is on earth now? The verses they use as far as rebuilding what was torn down has absolutely NOTHING to do with their building. I was pretty disgusted with this as I find they have twisted Scripture to suit their ideas. God never prophesied about that building no matter what they think!!!!

14. jude newman says:

So many dying daily from starvation, preventable disease. To see a church building an expensive temple to themselves is disgusting.

15. From an above comment from DP–

“As I look around downtown Dallas, I see spectacular temples of commerce, of culture and of government – many new, some restored to former glory, and all intended to stand for generations. The Kingdom of God needs a home to equal them – a spiritual oasis in the middle of downtown.” (emphasis mine – TDP)

Pastor, Dr. Robert Jeffress
    First Baptist Church, Dallas

What Pastor Jeffress is missing out on is the fact that those of us who know Christ already have a greater country, greater city, and greater mansion to go home to. And it ain’t on earth! “For our citizenship is in Heaven, from which we eagerly await the Savior, the Lord, Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly bodies to be conformed to His glorious body” (Philippians 4:1).

But alas, this man cannot look past the physical, and has decided that building a temple of glass and steel is more important than pointing people to the great Temple. “I looked, and there was no temple, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple” (Revelation 21:22).

I think I can speak for my DefCon brothers (and sisters) in saying that I will gladly serve in a run-down church with no heat and eagerly await the eternal temple, than to be lukewarm in a temple of man’s making that will one day burn up with fire.

16. fourpointer,

I stand with ye, my brother. I’ve met in KOA rec rooms and currently meet in a building provided for us by the Seventh Day Adventist bunch. The best a church can do is teach its people that Christ is our life and out to be the focus thereof.

Jeffress is correct to compare his new temple (a shrine to the cult of personality) to that of Jerry Jones. They have equivalent value in the kingdom of God.

17. Looking at the money spent on thing that will burn on Earth and not the things in Heaven, it makes me sad to see this.
    Then watching the Video of starving brothers I’m at a loss for words. Thanks for posting these here.
    ………..10 mins go by…
    Not to be legalistic but what about us in North America.
    How much money to we spent? our fancy Homes, car, boats, TVs, Cable bills, phones and paying for the use of the phones each month, eating out, ect?
    How much do I waste on things that I really don’t need?

18. papapatriot,

That’s what we all need to ask ourselves – being given much, much will be required. This is why I’ve tried to look at financial decisions in regards to how many Bibles would be bought. A happy meal = a Bible. It ain’t legalistic – that has to do with salvation. It has to with being obedient – the stuff God has given us is His and we should consume what we need and look to build the kingdom with everything else.

This is why fancy cars and big houses and expensive stuff is difficult to reconcile with faith in Christ. Those who are rich in this present age are to be ready and willing to help those in the body of Christ who are needy.

19. From Fourpointer,

‘I think I can speak for my DefCon brothers (and sisters) in saying that I will gladly serve in a run-down church with no heat and eagerly await the eternal temple, than to be lukewarm in a temple of man’s making that will one day burn up with fire’……

My response is a hearty ‘Amen brother’. We need to remember that God will hold us accountable for how we spend what He gives us; we should not spend it on ‘self’. Too many want to be comfortable in this life, while others insist on building huge facilities to ‘entertain’ folks in hopes of bringing them into their so-called ‘church’. The hour is late; how do we know this? Because of the widespread, rampant apostasy and deception that is everywhere. This post solidifies such.

20. I’m stunned.

Worldliness is still sin you know. (1 John 2:15-17)

Furthermore the pathetic and deceptive justifications and spin-doctoring employed by the den of thieves who conceived of this monument to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life are quite simply appalling.

From the FAQ page: “In a way, the glass walls have an evangelistic effect: people walking by have a view in from the street and feel drawn in.”

Are you kidding me? Evangelistic glass walls?!?

Egads!

In Christ,
    CD

21. CD,

Furthermore, FBC Dallas has no idea of the Biblical modle for church growth – train up men to be elders and plant churches. No man can pastor a church when it grows to cancerous proportions nor when the church gets twisted into a corporation.

22. Julie says:

Ok, I don’t know much about this church other than briefly looking at their website. It sounds like the current building can’t accomodate the thousands that attend. It also sounds like they offer classes during the week, maybe even have some sort of theological college. They also plan to pay for this themselves. In the current market environment, they’d probably have a hard time even obtaining a loan.

The comments on this board seem to rush to condemnation. This church might have a different approach, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s unbiblical. Someone suggested spending $500K on a building and using the rest for Bibles. That wouldn’t even begin to pay for the land. Someone else suggested building churches on another continent that would accomodate 100-150 for every $1MM spent. Using that math, then you can justify spending $130MM on a church of 10,000-20,000. I don’t know the size of this church, but it could be in that range.

The cost of building this church doesn’t seem out of line with a building this size in a city or the cost per person in a smaller church. Should Christians just abondon the cities just because it’s perceived as too costly?

23. When I read the title of this blog post, my thoughts went IMMEDIATELY to Christ’s words to the Church in Laodicea: “For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.” (Rev. 3:17-18)

24. Julie,

Rationalizing the program as you’ve done misses the point: it fails to be a church when it grows so large that is cannot be pastored. It’s a corporation claiming to be a church, program driven rather than bible based.

As well put by Richard Baxter in his “Reformed Pastor”, “When we are commanded to take heed to all the flock, it is plainly implied that flocks must ordinarily be no greater than we are capable of overseeing, or ‘taking heed to’.”

This mad growth with multiple service, campuses, and huge buildings is a testimony to man, not God.

It’s a poor use of money no matter what the city looks like.

25. Julie says:

Manfred –

You’re making the assumption that when a church grows to a certain size that it cannot be pastored. Is there a Biblical basis for that assumption or simply human reasoning/tradition? I don’t know this particular church, but I think it is unfair to rush to judgment. I’m not a big fan of mega-churches, but my perception has changed over the last year. We moved for job reasons, and the mega-church in our area (over 5K people) is one of the only churches that we could find that actually focuses on expository preaching and doesn’t have women pastors. We joined the young marrieds group and were happily surprised that most of the people in this group have a deep understanding of scripture. This church highly encourages people to join a small group. Most of the pastoring isn’t done just once a week during a Sunday service, but through iron-sharpening-iron through the body of believers during the week.

You also make the assumption that the multiple services, campuses, and huge buildings are a testiment to man and not God. I think that’s an unfair assessment given that this isn’t some start-up church marketing to the masses, but an established church that is busting at its seems. Is this church’s motive for building a new campus so that it can bring glory to itself or so that it can bring glory to God by being a light in the city and make disciples?

26. hmkjr says:

I have to agree with some of Julie’s points. I very much respect John MacArthur. Is his church considered a mega church? He is a solid expository preacher. Is his church doing something wrong? I am currently searching for a new church, so I’ve thought about this topic a lot lately and for me, I’ve decided I gotta get in there and interview the pastor and see what’s going on instead of just discounting a large church from the outward appearance.

27. There’s not a magic number or formula that I endorse – but when a congregation gets too large to be tended to properly by the pastor(s), it’s too large. A high profile senior pastor such as Piper or MacArthur is not a pastor to his flock. He is a preacher.

Multiple services or campuses comprise multiple congregations, not merely parts of one church. This represents the episcopal model of governance, which posits a man being more of an overlord than a pastor.

28. To compare MacArthur’s Grace Community Church with the church featured in this post is like comparing apples to oranges. Other than size of congregation, what possible similarities could you possibly be suggesting?

In case you missed it, size is not the issue. The use of 130 million dollars for a building (whose seating for church is only 3,000) is the issue. But I guess there’s always a justification for everything, no matter how inapplicable it may be.

Those who have attended GCC can confirm or correct me if I’m wrong.

– The Pilgrim

29. Related question, based on Pilgrim’s comment about GCC seating 3,000 people: How can a man pastor 3,000 people? How can the “senior pastor” (with lots of “other elders” and “staff pastors” who are not elders) be reconciled with Scripture?

Elders are called to shepherd/pastor their flocks – not manage them. There is no rank among elders in the Bible, no pastors who are not elders in the Bible.

On this issue, I do not understand MacArthur or Piper. They appear to be participants in the so-called “cult of celebrity”.

30. shane says:

I seen a handout for the Lottie Moon missions in church yesterday. I believe it said that their yearly budget is about ?165 million.

I heard a statistic on the radio that if all of the Christians in the U.S. paid their tithes there would be enough money to prevent children from dying from preventable disease in all of the world, enough to feed all of the children that are dying from hunger in the whole world, and there were a few other things that I can’t remember. It was staggering to hear what could be accomplished.

The thing is though, that here in the U.S. if everyone paid their tithes we would probably just build bigger and bigger “church” buildings. Some churches build bigger buildings when they aren’t even filling up the one that they currently have (speaking from experience).

31. David T says:

Manfred ~

I don’t know what Grace Community Church’s seating is like but I think Pilgrim was referring to FBC of Dallas spending $130 million dollars on a huge building where there are only 3,000 people attending.

As for the Cult of Celebrity with MacArthur, I don’t know if that is true or not with him.

Just my two cents. =)

32. Kirk Shrewsbury says:

Well, I think I recall that when some money was going to be wasted on Jesus, it was Judas Iscariot who complained, citing the plight of the poor. I saw a lot of posts here that made me think of that passage.

33. What a masterful misuse of Scripture, Kirk.

To equate Jesus Christ (God in the flesh) and the worship of Him, to this Dallas church building or any other building or “temple” which God does not dwell in (Acts 17:24) is a shameful abuse of Scripture. Absolutely shameful.

– Pilgrim

34. Dees says:

Hi y’all,
    I think we must always remind ourselves to go to Scripture for our final authority on matters of faith and life. In regards to this massive amount of money being spent, I believe there are so many biblical references to helping the poor that it seems highly, almost pervertedly extravagant. At the same time, I am unsure if I can say for certain that this Dallas church is going against Scripture. I think it is going against the Word, but I would need to do some study before I made a certain statement. I hope we would all do the same. Scripture alone is the final authority.
    I addition, I would challenge the man who said that Piper and McArthur may be caught up in the ‘celebrity cult’ to go read what they say. Piper and McArthur have been a huge blessing to the Body of Christ in the US and abroad. Please do not condemn these good men.
    Dees

35. David T says:

Manfred ~

Oh I know you didn’t say that, that’s why I said I don’t know if MacArthur is of that group or not. Wasn’t trying to go after you for that. Was just putting that out there. =)

Just curious (that’s it, not trying to start a fight, I promise, lol), what about John’s views of dispensationalism and the construct of his church do you disagree with?

36. David T,

No offense.

My view is amillennial – I think the dispy view of the church is dead wrong. I’ve read comments from MacArthur from a conference earlier this year wherein he all but called people who weren’t dispy’s heretics. A.W. Pink sums up a good review of dispensationalism – http://www.fivesolas.com/applican.htm

As far as the construct of Mac’s church – it’s as I mentioned: he is the senior pastor, the public face and voice of that church, with no other elder sharing that. The Bible doesn’t know rank among elders and pastors are to be shepherds – a man can’t do that if the church gets so large they have to adopt corporate hierarchy to “manage” things. The church needs elders who know the people and can pastor them, who are equal to one another and keep each other from emerging as “the man”. As good a preacher Mac is, he is but a man. As good a job he does as pointing people to Christ, I think it’s wrong for him to be THE preacher and senior pastor. Those things make too much of the man.

I dislike having “the pastor’s name” (should be a plurality of elders) on church signs, etc. The messenger is not important – the message is.

37. Manfred,

I am part of what you could call, the “Grace” churches. You know the ones; men called of God who studied at the Master’s Seminary then go and plant churches around the States and globe.

Whilst I have never attended Sun Valley I am familar with the construct. I think it is quite a large call to say that no other elder shares that [being the voice/face of the church].

First name that comes to mind is Phil Johnson.

Blessings.

Ps. You would be happy to know that our elders dont throw the name “senior pastor” etc around. And our “senior pastor” does not even particularly like the term emphasized in his title.

38. Truther says:

I read my former pastor’s blog each week just to see what is happening since I left. In his latest he says that most small churches are small because they have a loser’s mentality. He then said that to help counteract that they redid the front entrance, put new carpet in, and installed a new hi-tech sound system. If they have the money to do all of that, they must not have too much of a loser mentality. He laments being a small church in a hard to get to spot, but if the church was bigger they would probably just have to get a bigger sound system. I am not the best steward of the money that God has been so gracious to provide me with, but I hope that I could find a few better ways to spend extra money than the above.

39. Truther,

As has been said by many folks over the years – if you win folks with methods (carpet, fancy sound systems, etc.) somebody with better methods can/will win them away.

If folks do not desire the gospel, they are not of the church anyways. Evangelism is to happen in the streets and homes – not the primary mission of the gathering of saints on Sunday.

40. Ranger says:

Manfred,

Not knowing the hearts of those in leadership of FB dallas, I’ll not debate the relevancy of their building program with you. However, I will ask You, based on your obvious passion for people to be saved, do/have you actually shared Christ with ALL those You come in contact with, whether in the streets, at your work place, etc.? Are YOU doing what You are Preaching to Others?

Did you receive Christ in a Church, or do you even attend Church, or, who knows, maybe you’re a Pastor, or pehaps you aren’t a Christian at all, and are seeking to damage the Kingdom…its hard to tell, Brother!
    My confusion stems from the “tone” of your militant content and bias comments, that sound NOTHING like a Live Transformed by a REAL Relationship with Thee KING of Kings.

41. Ranger,

By your own standard (“Not knowing the hearts of those in leadership of FB dallas, I’ll not debate the relevancy of their building program”), you shouldn’t be debating my standing in Christ :-) Come to Houston and let’s talk. I enjoy such conversation with people I know.

42. The First Baptist Dallas pastor needs to take a lesson from the life of great Methodist circuit rider, Francis Asbury.

He traveled on “roads” on which his horse sank many times knee-deep in mud. If a road did not exist, he would lead his horse over the steep, rocky inclines of the Appalachians to reach a pioneer community. Many times, his feet and legs were bloodied and bruised by the horrific journey. When he came to a river where there was no bridge or ferry, he would swim his horse across. Numerous times, he was nearly drowned by an angry, swollen stream. His “hotel” on many occasions was on a dirt floor in an overcrowded, rat-infested frontier cabin. Oftentimes he slept in the woods, on a mountain ledge or in damp cave. Many days he would travel over 60 miles with nothing to eat. The paths and roads he traveled were full of dangers from murderers, thieves, wolves, bears, poisonous snakes and roaming bands of Native Americans with whom the frontiersmen were at war. If he met someone who needed a cloak, food or money, he would take what he had and give it to the person in need. Asbury sought out the forgotten, hidden places of early America. He traveled from New England, to the Midwest, and to the Deep South spreading the Gospel of Christ. When he would meet a person who was ill, he would minister to their physical needs with the last medication he had. Often, his place a preaching was in a grove of trees, a borrowed tavern or school. His worldly possessions were a horse, the clothing he wore and a few provisions in his saddle bag. He demanded nothing of others in order to come into a community. The demands he made were of himself. Frequently, his body would be racked with pain, illness, fever, hunger and weakness. His physical being would cry out for rest and nourishment. However, his spirit ruled his body. When truly unable to travel, he would mount his horse and ride for 8 hours or more through blinding snowstorms, torrential rain or in oppressive heat. His passion was to win souls for Christ at any cost.

Hebrews 11:32-38 speaks about the early heroes of the faith: They were…“tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection. Still others had trial of mocking and beatings, and of chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, were tempted, were slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented…they wandered in deserts, and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth… of whom the world was not worthy.”
    My God, how far we have fallen! Millions are dying and going to hell while we build palaces for our comfort and our ego. God is calling on us as His people to repent and turn from our wicked ways. He is calling us to seek HIS face and seek the lost. Oh that we may return to the faith of our fathers. May God give us shepherds after His own heart

43. JJDD9 says:

I use to be on staff at FBC Dallas. I’ve sat in on meetings about this building project, it’s being built to bring people in. “If we build, they’ll come” Dr. Robert Jefress.

It’s all about numbers, it’s not about bringing salvation.

Did you know that Dr. Robert Jefress told staff members at his former church (FBC Whitchita Falls) that if a certain amount of people did not walk down to the alter on a certain Sunday, he’d fire him.

In my opinion, Jefress is a punk. And many in the SBTC would agree. I’m now with a God fearing, people loving church, and it’s great.

44. Many of these comments remind me of when Jesus’ disciples complained about the woman who used expensive perfume on Jesus, and they said, the perfume could’ve been sold and the money given to the poor (Matt.26:6-13; Mark 14:3-9)). Many here, are acting just like Jesus’ disciples, who weren’t thinking. Did not Jesus say, the poor you will always have and you can still do something good for the poor.

Why can’t this church do both… build a ridiculously beautiful and functional church that glorifies God, tends to its congregation’s spiritual needs, AND feed the poor?? I wonder how many people complained on this blog, and don’t do what they can to feed the poor? I wonder how many people here will think nothing about spending a lot of money to go to a sports event, or some other entertainment, and only throw a dollar (or nothing) in the offering plate on Sunday… or, don’t go to church at all… or, are negligent when giving for the poor. I have a feeling, there are a bunch of hypocrites here.

I just got done watching Dr. Robert Jefress on “Christ in Prophecy” w/ Dr. David Reagan, on TV, and Dr. Jefress is in no way, politically correct in his views, and comes out swinging on the subjects of evolution, homosexuality, abortion, and Jesus, as being the one and only way to heaven.

There’s nowhere in the Bible that says, Christians must do God’s work from straw huts and live on the streets while fulfilling the Great Commission. At first, I thought, this was a waist of money, BUT, if this church is winning souls while NOT cheapening the gospel or biblical truth, AND have their mission field, and this church isn’t only a social club… I’M ALL FOR IT!!!

I have this feeling too, that most of the comments here are from the ACLU, atheists, and other God haters, who can’t stand it, that God is getting this kind of attention. Just remember, how beautiful the Temple in Jerusalem must’ve been, and that the Ark of the Covenant was made out of gold (even though the Israelites were poor and wallowed in the desert for 40 yrs.), and just how huge and wonderful New Jerusalem will look like when it comes to Earth.

If anyone thinks I’m a member with this church, I’m not. I live in Illinois, and I wished the liberal thinking churches around here would do something to grow souls for Jesus.

Why should Satan have all the nice buildings? Paper money is worthless in reality (and it’s getting more worthless daily), and if we can use it to grow Jesus’ Church (true believers in Jesus), then why not? What is a soul worth? More than that church, and if this church can be used as a tool to win souls, then go for it. Just don’t water down the Gospel message, and keep exposing the evolution lies, homosexual agenda, and that abortions kill human beings who were created by God.

45. Jeff H says:

Bad example.

The woman was preparing Jesus for burial. You shaved off the end of the quote to make your point and thus twisted Scripture.

“Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came up to him with an alabaster flask of very expensive ointment, and she poured it on his head as he reclined at table. And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste? For this could have been sold for a large sum and given to the poor.” But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, but you will not always have me. In pouring this ointment on my body, she has done it to prepare me for burial. Truly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told in memory of her.” (Matthew 26:6-13)

The means never justifies the ends. Besides, I think you missed the point of the post.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about, to be sure.

Just remember, how beautiful the Temple in Jerusalem must’ve been,

And yet Jesus had it destroyed as judgment.

“Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple. But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”(Matthew 24:1-2)

and that the Ark of the Covenant was made out of gold

And yet God allowed it to be taken by the Philistines.

God is more interested in us and His plans than the structure we meet in. We should keep the same priorities.

if this church can be used as a tool to win souls, then go for it.

But the building DOESN’T contribute to winning souls. Only the Gospel does that.

Everything else is a distraction.

In Christ,
    – Jeff H

46. Robert Jeffress could learn a lesson from some of the Cowboy Churches we have here in Texas. Simple church that is inviting to simple people. They come and hear the word of God and listen to inspirational music that they otherwise would never visit or feel welcome in a mega church.

47. lonestargigi – I agree with you that Jeffress has much to learn. What, pray tell, is the biblical rationale for having a church based on a cultural demographic, such as the Cowboy Churches you mention? I live in Houston and see some of these, as well as churches based on skin color, sexual preference, etc. I don’t see any of these in the Word as bases for Christians gathering.