I’ve often heard people say that they’re not worried about their sins; they just do what their hearts tell them to do. I’ve even heard burly bikers say sappy stuff about their pure hearts. Where do people get that, and why do so many believe that? Could it be that it has been pounded into our heads hundreds of times?
Here are a few select lines from various songs. On this list is music from nearly every genre, for every age group.
- Phil Collins – Trust your heart. Let fate decide, to guide these lives we see.
- Stevie Wonder – Why second guess what feels so right? Just trust your heart and you’ll see the light. True to your heart, you must be true to your heart.
- Lynard Skynard – Follow your heart and nothing else.
- Melissa Etheridge- I have come this far with a truth of the heart.
- New Radicals – This whole d___ world can fall apart. You’ll be okay; follow your heart.
- Smokin’ Armadillos – Let your heart lead your mind.
- Ultravox – Follow, follow your heart.
- Triumph – You’ve got to follow your heart.
- Judy Collins – Trust your heart.
- The Stylistics – Listen to your heart, hear what it’s saying.
- Motorhead – Listen to your heart.
- Little Feat – Listen to your heart.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt – Listen to your heart.
- Roxette – Listen to your heart.
- Reba McEntire – The heart won’t lie.
- Thumbelina cartoon – When you follow your heart, when you follow your heart.
- Sonic Underground cartoon – When there’s people in your life trying to tell you what is right, what do you do? Listen to your heart, girl. Do you take a brand new road or the one you’ve always known? Am I getting through? Listen to your heart, girl. ‘Cause the heart’s not gonna lie to you. Listen to your heart, girl. And I know you’ll always be hearing the truth if you listen to your heart.
Music has a profound effect on people. Tunes get stuck in our heads. People memorize lyrics. Many listen to the radio all day long at work. Certainly the doctrines found in music will end up being adopted by a certain percentage of people.
The Bible has a few different things to say about our hearts and how we should make decisions.
Jeremiah 17:9: The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
Proverbs 21:2: Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the heart.
Proverbs 14:12: There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.
Proverbs 3:5: Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Proverbs 28:26: Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.