Rob Bell invites heretical mystic woman to speak

Phyllis Tickle (She’s the one on the right. And yes, that’s her name, and that’s what she does to the ears) was invited to speak at a pagan shrine in Grand Rapids, MI recently. The shrine to the gods is headed by emergent guru Rob Bell, and was host to this woman who quoted all kinds of “Christian” msytics and heretics–but precious little Scripture. In fact, she calls those of us who do believe the truth of Scripture “fools” for daring to examine the filth she is spewing. It’s over at A Little Leaven; stomach it if you can. If you thought Mark Driscoll’s take on Song of Solomon was weird, wait till you hear how whacky this woman gets right before the 7:00 mark.

For those of you who come down on us for opposing “Christian” mystics and those who teach “contemplative prayer” &c, as well as exposing the people who quote them (all the while claiming to be Christian)–now do you see the danger that comes with following those heretics? This is the kind of drivel you get when you follow mystical enchanters instead of the One True God and His Christ. And when yolu follow someone like Rob Bell.

17 thoughts on “Rob Bell invites heretical mystic woman to speak

1. Joe Albrecht says:

Sigh. What is his purpose in all that he does exactly? Could he even give close to a straight answer on such a question?

I just sometimes wonder if wolves in sheep’s clothing in fact know that they are wolves, or if they’ve worn the disguise long enough to fool themselves, too.

2. I read an interview he did with CT recently (and remember the cover story from ’04). I read each rambling thought he says, trying desperately to follow some sort of logic or grasp what his point is, and there is none. Serious question – does this guy smoke weed? At least in print, that is exactly the impression he gives.

I don’t understand why the Christian press is so infatuated with him – he doesn’t seem to believe in anything in particular when it comes to doctrine. At least that’s my impression.

3. Caleb says:

Yes, Marie, I don’t understand, either, except I will say that he has a way to make his messages sound extremely spiritual, even though it’s utter garbage. He’s developed a real cult following amongst the Christians my age (early 20′s), especially those at my school, and my warnings about his false teachings, have generally, fallen on deaf ears. Believe me, it’s getting extremely frustrating & rather discouraging.

P.S. Over at Apprising Ministries, Pastor Silva has linked Chris Roseberough’s analysis of Tickle’s “sermon.”

4. jude newman says:

Last night I listened to Chris Rosebrough’s rebuttal of Phyllis Tickle’s teaching. It is teaching that will lead people straight to hell. I haven’t heard Rob Bell speaking and have no desire to. The fact that he invites someone who believes the heretical things P.T. does is enough. She could in no way be called Christian, I wondered as I was listening did any one who was listening know that this was wrong, did anyone get up and walk out. I wonder too like Joe Albrecht, do the wolves know they are wolves. In a church a few years ago this woman would have been exposed, now matter how heretical or apostate they are, they are accepted. The apostacy is getting worse, and it is very painful to watch all these people being deceived

5. Sadly this comes as no surprise. Bell has been a primary architect of emergent rebellion against the veracity of the scriptures for years. “Yea, hath God said…?”

There’s been so much hand-wringing over this guy for so many years – “is he or isn’t he?” – that it’s actually refreshing to see him “coming out” and fully embracing a rank heretic as opposed to his usual schtick of coyly dancing around his idol “mystery” and couching his faith in his false god “doubt” in duplicitous, Christian-esque double-talk.

The apostasy continues.

Maranatha Lord Jesus!

In Christ,
    CD

6. Caleb says:

Coram Deo, you make a very good point. Barring that he doesn’t come out & rebuke Phyllis Tickle for her blatant HERESY, Rob Bell is making it increasingly clear where he stands.

But, what alarms me is, like I said, Rob Bell has “a real cult following” (to quote myself) amongst the younger generation, so he’s only showing them how to dig even further into the bed of heresy.

7. John says:

Can anyone provide some good resources on Rob Bell? I saw one of his videos (The gods Aren’t Angry) and was disappointed in his treatment of the God of the universe. From his sermon, it appears that he believes that paganism existed before our God! I see error mixed with truth, which is a lie. It reminds me how Satan quoted scripture to Jesus in the wilderness. I would like to do some research to substantiate who he is without wasting too much time on him.

His name is very interesting; however, it is just a name. I see that he goes by Rob instead of Bob, perhaps for a reason. Bob Bell is very similar sounding to bab-el, a lost world’s attempt to create a “gate to god” apart from Jesus Christ. Bell is also interesting being that it is one in the same as baal or bul. There are a lot of guys out there with the name Robert Bell, so I am certainly not insinuating that everyone with the name is corrupt, even if it may be fitting in this case.

8. John,

Rob Bell is, himself, a heretic. I do not make that charge lightly. Your comment that I see error mixed with truth is much more charitable than my view of the vile vomit he spews forth. I see no truth whatsoever, and in fact he himself would castigate you for daring to say there even is a “truth” other than what we make. He is a fan of authors that have been approved by Brian McLaren, another heretic, which ought to throw up red flags everywhere (except your local quote-unquote “Christian” bookstore).

That said, Ken Silva at Apprising Ministries has posted much on this guy. This article is a good start, with lots of links to other artciles.

9. foutpointer,
    the fear mongering (sp?) here is absurd! Maybe you should put that energy of disrespect into reaching out and doing something helpful rather than attacking other believers. I think that would do more good.

T <

10. Sheets,

Am I correct in understanding that you consider Rob Bell and Phyllis Tickle “believers?” Because I can assure you that they may “believe” in something–but it’s not the Jesus of the Bible. They (and all the other Emergents) don’t really believe in anything. If you click the link and listen to what Phyllis (ear)Tickle(r) speaks, what you find is the kind of heretical, pagan, Gnostic-type mysticism that Paul and John had to combat in the early church–which led them to write many of the things they wrote.

I do not respect anyone who makes such a mockery of Scripture, and I never will. I will continue to speak out against those who claim that there is no such thing as absolute truth (people like Rob Bell), when Jesus Himself said, “If you abide in My word, you will know the truth” (John 8:32) and “I AM the Truth” (John 14:6). These people make Jesus a liar.

11. Amen fourpointer. Rob Bell is a very dangerous individual which others will find if they study his doctrine and compare it against the rightly divided Scriptures. He being very popular today with great appeal to the youth as he comes across as a very hip and culturally relevant individual. His Nooma videos being very popular and watched by youth groups across the globe.

For those who would like to do some research on Mr. Bell to gain a clearer understanding of the false doctrine he espouses, you can go to the following sites to do some research.

lighthousetrailsresearch.com [search for "Rob Bell" for a series of articles]

apprising.org/category/rob-bell/

12. J-Mac says:

T Sheets said

foutpointer,

LOL…….typical emergent response…….translation…”stop judging and go help people”

Silly emergents.

13. Leonard says:

Many Christians today (maybe even the average believer) cannot tell you why they believe what they believe. We have become like the “ten virgins” our Lord Jesus spoke of in Matthew 25:1-13; remember they were ALL SLEEPING. If we are awake and on the offensive for our Lord Jesus Christ then we will not be surprised when we hear about false doctrine (please read 2 Timothy 4:1-5[this was not just for Timothy. It was meant for ALL believers in Christ Matt 28:19-20] . You think Rob Bell is the only person off base?? How many of us are excited to watch Oprah, or read her magazines yet know little or nothing about her spiritual beliefs, which she is not afraid to promote [read Oprah Miracles and the New Earth, by Erwin W. Lutzer],or what about Joel Osteen who is for some reason very very very hesitant to speak about sin, judgement, heaven and hell and how only the blood of Jesus Christ can cleanse us from all sin. God’s love for us means absolutely nothing to us unless we can understand how he demonstrated it (Romans 5:6-8, Romans 1:16). It is not for me or anyone on this planet to judge these people, that is reserved only for God alone, but we are commanded to judge what we hear (Jude:3-4, 2Tim 3:16). We must know who our enemy is and always be ready for his attack (2 Corinthians 10:3-6 ,Ephesians 6:10-18). Please study the word 2Tim 2:15.

Leonard:

False doctrine is certainly no surprise. Nor are we surprised to hear it being disseminated from professing “christians”. Nor is Rob Bell the only false teacher around. Regarding your statement:

“It is not for me or anyone on this planet to judge these people, that is reserved only for God alone, but we are commanded to judge what we hear”

Yes, we are commanded to judge what we hear. But what is the Christian’s responsibility regarding false teachers?

“Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.” (Rom.16:17)

We are commanded here to “σκοπέω” (to watch, beware of, contemplate, observe) those who “σκάνδαλον” (entrap, bait, deceive) and thus cause others to “διχοστασία” (stand apart) from sound doctrine, and “ἐκκλίνω” (exclude, reject) them (not just their teachings). This requires a certain “judgment” on our part. We must take note of these individuals, and purposely reject them.

We are further commanded to have nothing to do with anyone who claims to be a “brother” (Christian), yet does not live according to the truth of God’s word (1 Cor. 5:11-12. Indeed, we are specifically commanded here to judge those who claim to be Christians.

Furthermore, the enemy (Satan) prowls like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Yet he certainly doesn’t APPEAR that way:

“No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.” (2 Cor.11:14)

Nor do his workers:

“Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.” (2 Cor.11:15)

So we can expect that Satan’s workers APPEAR, or often attempt to pass themselves off, as “christian”, or “godly” people. But their purpose is to do Satan’s work, which is to destroy.

Thus the need for watchmen. But the watchman has this responsibility:

“But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, so that the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any one of them, that person is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand.” (Ez. 33:6)

Thus the true Christian must judge who is of God, and who is not. To not only take note of those who bring false doctrine and avoid them, but to sound the alarm out of love for God’s people so that they are not taken captive.

That is the purpose of sites such as this.