Paul Washer vs Joel Osteen.

paul-washer.jpgboxing-gloves.jpgjoel-osteen.jpg

Here’s a treat that you are sure to enjoy. Listen to this (9:30) audio clip Paul Washer vs Joel Osteen and see if you can spot a difference in their theologies. Thanks to Way of the Master Radio (WOTM) for putting this audio together (and my wife for finding it).

Just to whet your whistle, I’ve included my own example below:

God is preparing you for greater things. He’s going to take you further than you thought possible, so don’t be surprised when He asks you to think better of yourself and to act accordingly. - Joel Osteen

I’m not troubled in my heart about your self esteem. I’m not troubled in my heart about whether or not you feel good about yourself; whether life is turning out the way you wanted it to turn out, or whether or not your checkbook is balanced. There’s only one thing that gave me a sleepless night. There’s only one thing that troubled me all throughout the morning, and that is this: Within a hundred years a great majority of people in this building will possibly be in hell. - Paul Washer

Click here for a John MacArthur vs Joel Osteen video comparison, and here for a John MacArthur, Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, and Catholic Priest video comparison.

24 thoughts on “Paul Washer vs Joel Osteen.

1. I was watching Larry King interview Osteen last night (I think it was a rerun). They should have had a Surgeon General’s warning at the bottom: Listening to too much Joel Osteen can cause tooth decay.

He’s about as syrupy as a stack of pancakes!

2. Bri said: “lets not judge. . . .there needs to be some more new testament scriptures for Washer

Uh oh . . . didn’t you just make a judgment?

3. These guys seem like two opposing fallacies, with the reality of God’s love and justice somewhere in-between… and unfortunately, untouched by either.

4. John,
    with all due respect…how do you figure that PW’s sermon is a fallacy? does he not just quote scripture and expound it accurately?

Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean specifically? What I mean to say is would you quote a PW quote and explain why you think it’s a fallacy?

I’m not getting it…sorry.

bob

5. Mike says:

I’m guessing that what John means is that both of the pastors in that recording have, at least in what they said there, a very narrow view of Scripture. One focused on the complete and total depravity of man, and the other doesn’t seem to seem to believe in sin at all. To paraphrase PW “We would all become Hitler if left unchecked”. Doesn’t that seem just a tiny bit ridiculous to you? Yes, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but come on! Hitler isn’t an aberration?

6. The diffrence between the two men and their theology is this,, Paul washer teaches out of the Bible letting scripture interpret scripture. Joel Osteen teaches his own cut and paste systemic theology, only using the feel good verses. I have never once heard Joel Osteen preach a message with the words, repent. Hell. or Judgment. The reason so many people like Osteen is because he will use enough of the truth to draw people in to his sports arena Church, but will then deceive the multitudes by preaching a half message of how good your life can be if you just think positive and have “Gods Favor.” In responce to Larry King on CNN Osteen was asked if he though he may be deceiving the peple because he doesn’t preach hell fire and brimstone messages, Osteen himself said, “That’s not my message.” well WAKEUP JOEL OSTEEN, That was Gods message to Mankind, why, Jesus Christs First recorded word was “Repent!” – ask yourself Mr Osteen. Are you teaching Gods message or your own message, – just something to think about,

7. A true Christian follows Jesus Christ as He is Lord and Savior. There is no other way to heaven but by Him! It is only through faith and trust in Jesus Christ that we are saved. Repentance of sins and obedience of His Word will be evident in the saved person’s life. The Bible is the Word of God. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The Word became flesh! The Word is Jesus Christ!

8. John,

In fact, Paul Washer showed more of God’s love than Joel Osteen ever has. If a parent loves their child, won’t they teach that child to keep their hand off the hot stove? But a parent that doesn’t care will let their child grab hold of the hot burner, and burn their hand.

Besides, you can’t judge Mr. Washer (or ANY preacher) based on one sermon. I have heard many of Osteen’s “sermons”, and, as Kevinchicode said, I too have never heard him talk about sin or retpentance, or the true meaning of the cross. A preacher that teaches about sin, repentance, and the wrath of God is doing their people a far greater favor than they would by avoiding these things.

9. LumpyMeatLoaf says:

Hey Mike,

You believe that Hitler was running his war machine and Jewish death squads by himself? How about the other 50 million other Nazis? While in the U.S. Army station in Germany, I had the experience to go to Dachau concentration camp, three times. I saw the ovens that are still in place! I saw the pictures of the experiments that were performed on the prisoners. I saw some in which their skulls were opened like a can of tuna and their brains inspected after the Nazi, (Dr. Mengela), examined them after freezing them to death (some unfortunates some were still awake). I have seen the lampshades that were made from the very skins of the prisoners after they were skinned…. There hair was cut for using in materials for parachutes and their teeth removed from their mouths, which had gold. The ovens cooked the bodies day and night for years, whereas the town was bombarded from the ashes like a constant snowstorm. Mike, this was but one of multiple camps, which killed five million Jews and gentiles…… In Russia, prior to WWII and to his death, Joseph Stalling executed 30 million Russian citizens (his own)…..let us not forget the treatment of German (POWs) prisoners and discontents! So you think Hitler was anomalous? Let us not forget the Japanese and how they butchered the Ally prisoners on the death march? They were so cruel and wicked that the Nazis asked them to lighten up on the Allies! Out of the 52 million killed during the war millions were simply butchered for no rhyme or reason… Mike, I can gather that you are not a history major?

Jesus is Lord
    Jeff

10. Esteban C says:

I, for one, am just glad that I am not going to hell like the rest of the world. I am grateful to be one of the chosen few to have listened to the slmighty Paul Washer!

11. LumpyMeatLoaf says:

Greetings,

During a time, I have been blessed to hear Pastor Paul Washer preach the infallible word of God. Being instructed in the Book of Acts, which Saint Paul instructs us to be like a Berean, I have never heard any preaching from this man that fails to correspond with scripture. Have you? Pastor Washer emulates the gospel in truth and spirit, which is unlike cultist, liberal Arminians or wish-washy false prophets (profits), which ambiguously preach a gospel that is in more congruence with Dale Carnegie than God. In the midst of the minds of some people, it seems some have a problem with Paul Washer’s style. If a person is truly regenerated then he will be able to understand those things of the spirit. Even Saint Paul predicated that he too was a weak wretched person, while being in his flesh body. Saint Paul could raise the dead, cast off demons and shake off a snake, but however, he struggled as being a man. If listening to God’s word pricks the flesh of anger instead of Godly conviction then that person might want to reevaluate their walk and their own spiritual worthiness. If ear tickling, rapacious existentialism mixed with esoteric hocus-pocus gradually mixed with a dose of eisegesis is your thing then again research your own beliefs….

Jesus is Lord
    Jeff

12. Charis (Chris G.) says:

Wow… the comments here are scary. Many blogs I frequent have a real zeal for Jesus Christ .

Many that hang out here appear to be zealous first and foremost for Paul Washer – and in a way that is very troubling.

Not sure what to make of it…

13. LumpyMeatLoaf says:

What is troubling?

Mr. Osteen depicts a false gospel….. When asked by Larry King about sin, repentance and hell, Mr. Osteen basically said that he does not preach that way! So what way should he preach? He stated that we are more about togetherness, family happiness while becoming a better person through self and gentleness…..When ask about Jesus and is he the only way to heaven, Osteen refused to stand for the righteousness of God! Mr. Osteen basically said that I really don’t preach that way nor about that, for I am not any one’s judge and I really don’t know about the paths of others! This is a false gospel and belief……. So what is biblical about his unbelief? Show me a verse of two that is congruent to Osteen’s beliefs? If Osteen believes that there are many ways to God then either he is ignorant of the Word of God or he is blaspheming by calling Lord Jesus a liar.

On the other hand, Pastor Paul Washer elaborates that man is depraved at birth and only through the Holy Spirit that our eyes are opened, and only then are we saved….(John 6:31-71) Pastor Washer preaches about the death from sin and the need of true biblical repentance (Romans 5:12). Pastor Washer preaches that Jesus is the truth, the life and the ONLY way to come to the Father (John 14:6) Pastor Washer preaches from Matthew 7, which depicts that the good tree will bear fruit and how the thistle tree will bear thorns, So the trees having the inedible fruit are chopped down and thrown on the fire, and yes, the way to identify a tree or a person is by the kind of fruit produced. And Jesus tells us that some (who think that they are saved) will say at the “Judgment many will tell me, `Lord, Lord, we told others about you and used your name to cast out demons and to do many other great miracles.’ But I will reply, `You have never been mine. Go away, for your deeds are evil.”

I too am troubled how apostate has crept into the church and blinded the majority. I am too troubled that most come to a service to hear the jingly music, watch the girlies dance and to get their ears tickled. However, for what it is worth about these times, scripture does say, “(1 Corn -13-15) “In telling you about these gifts we have even used the very words given to us by the Holy Spirit, not words that we as men might choose. So we use the Holy Spirit’s words to explain the Holy Spirit’s facts. But the man who isn’t a Christian can’t understand and can’t accept these thoughts from God, which the Holy Spirit teaches us. They sound foolish to him, because only those who have the Holy Spirit within them can understand what the Holy Spirit means. Others just can’t take it in. But the spiritual man has insight into everything, and that bothers and baffles the man of the world, who can’t understand him at all.”

Jesus is Lord
    Jeff

14. Thomas says:

Two pastors at a local church were mimicing Joel’s response to his recent interveiw. I too laughed with them. Then, the Spirit convicted me heavily and I stopped laughing. God spoke in my ears, “Have you ever prayed for the salvation of Joel’s soul?” I began to cry. The pastors looked at me, and I said the same thing to them. What God spoke then, I now say to you:

“Have you ever prayed for the salvation of Joel’s soul?” Did not Christ die? Did not Christ die? And who did He die for? me and not others? us and not them? Maybe so, but who were each of us before God saved us? He die for the ungodly.

In the words of your beloved Paul Washer, “Apart from the restraining grace of God upon us, we would make Hitler look like a chior boy.”

You do well if apostacy makes you angry, but does the slaughtering of the name of our precious Jesus make any of you also cry? What, Esteban, of the thousand souls today who turn aside to follow Joel’s palatable teachings… and go to hell!? Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel. Blood on our hands if we are like the Pharisee who thanked God for his salvation and his securtiy and his own righteousness, while despising the poor man.

In the words of Ravenhill, “Jesus wept before He whipped.”

In the words of God, “Let the priests weep between the porch and the altar.”

Please, my brothers, let us pray together for Joel’s salvation. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear in Joel’s next interview or book or whatever that he is repenting and proclaiming the Truth?

Jesus is Lord, indeed
    Thomas

15. LumpyMeatLoaf says:

Greetings Thomas,

Like you, I too grieve for Mr. Osteen. Also, I don’t believe that his denial of Lord Jesus and God’s Word is funny whatsoever……. It is truly sad, to say the least. However, Joel Osteen is only one candle on the cake of apostasy. If you don’t think so just watch the different television evangelist. Mr. Osteen has been confronted multiple times but still refuses to preach the truth. He has openly admitted that he has absolutely zilch biblical training. I never would have guessed, but one would think that Sunday school might have helped him as a child? His belief in “Ecumenicalism”, “Prosperity Light” and “Semi-Dale Carnegie theology”; “Your good, they are good, and I am good too” depicts a social psychology beliefs, which are anti-gospel.

As far as “My Beloved” Pastor Washer, let me ask you a few questions? You have ever heard him preach a false sermon? Have ever heard him laugh about apostasy? Is he or is he not a man of God that does or does not deserve respect? Most people who disagree with Pastor Washer really don’t have any heartburn with him, just God’s Word. If he is preaching the truth is he not God’s beloved and therefore ours too?

I too agree that we do need to pray for Mr. Osteen, and the entire apostasy that is growing like a ravenous beast, which fools the gullible and robs their very means. Yes, it would be wonderful to hear him repent and truly guide the multiple thousands to God.

Have a Blessed week.

Jesus is Lord
    Jeff

16. Thomas says:

I apologize for being out of line. Please forgive me, I shouldn’t have spoken like that.

Thanks, Meatloaf, for writing. I didn’t know very much about Joel’s theology – I don’t even have a TV to watch him with. And I am sorry for being so rude about the Paul thing. He is a man that God is using, and I have never heard him preach a false sermon.

You know, Meatloaf, I have been mostly a mere spectator to this website, reading the thoughts of others. It seems there is much hostility and disunity amongst the brothers here. And I can see why.

I know that my own flesh is quick to express anger for such things. But after seeing these things for years and being angry at them for years, I began to suffer horrible spiritaul depravity – and it showed outwardly. Instead of mainly coming unto God, I was mostly running away from the world. I realized that I was no longer looking to Jesus, but I had been focusing solely on all this apostacy – ultimately, I was falling further away from God’s love and grace and Truth. Because of this I went through times of great anger, seclusion, despare, etc. And the reason I am concerned is because at this informative website there seems the same symptoms in others. I just do not want others to make the same mistakes that I foolishly did for so long.

So I again apologize for being out of line. I’d rather us all try to come together and think of ways to remedy this apostate nation. In my humble experience I’ve found that merely pointing out a fire doesn’t exstinguish its flames, although it is the first step and is greatly important by all means. What I believe God has proven to work against this is Truth being preached once again (as it is being by some) coupled with prayer and intercession before the Lord.

Thanks again,
    Thomas

17. LumpyMeatLoaf says:

Greetings Thomas,

I truly appreciate your apology, and I also accept it with no ill will towards you, whatsoever. For what it is worth, I too have spoken against someone or something without investigating the issues first. I guess being human we sometimes leap before we look.
    Yes, your perception is truly correct in regards that some too include myself, which might display zeal and a righteous anger towards anyone that boldly guides gullible souls into open falseness. We all have to remember that St. Paul warned us in 2 Corinthians 11:4-6 concerning, “You seem so gullible: you believe whatever anyone tells you even if he is preaching about another Jesus than the one we preach, or a different spirit than the Holy Spirit you received, or shows you a different way to be saved. You swallow it all. Yet I don’t feel that these marvelous “messengers from God,” as they call themselves, are any better than I am. If I am a poor speaker, at least I know what I am talking about, as I think you realize by now, for we have proved it again and again.”

My friend, you are correct that those whom are in apostate or openly sinning do need to be corrected and perhaps guided within a collective effort from the brethren. However, here is the problem. Within the ranks of the apostates, most, to include Mr. Osteen, have been approached by numerous Godly men without success by blatantly refusing to change or even listen. Their refusal of acknowledgement of truth into the true gospel of God’s Word has evidentially no bearing on their hardened shells and deafness. After dealing with some that refused to change or listen, even St. Paul had his limits when dealing with believed Christians, twice in the Bible. In the Book of Timothy 1:18-20, whereas he turned Hymenaeus and Alexander over to Satan to punish them until they could learn not to bring shame (blaspheme) to the name of Christ. Secondly, 1 Corinthians 5:5, whereas St. Paul had to cast out this man from the fellowship of the church and into Satan’s hands, to punish him, for incest within the very church, in the hope that his soul will be saved when our Lord Jesus Christ returns.

We always need to pray for yourselves and others, however at times we have to stand for those things that are right, by speaking out for righteousness. It has been a Blessing to talk to you. My friend one last thing, at times through loneliness and the lack openly expressing with others, we all need to have godly counseling. Where I live in Southern Oklahoma, there are no other Reformers or Reform Churches, so I am basically alone. I do understand. If you feel lead please seek fellowship with other Reformers. I pray everyday for what others take for granted.

Have a Blessed Week

Jesus is Lord
    Jeff

18. Thomas says:

Greetings Lumpy Meat

God’s Word seek’s fellowship with other Reformers

For what it is worth Godly men without Satan’s hands display zeal and a righteous anger towards myself

Jesus Christ!

Thanks again,
    Thomas

19. Thomas, they are not “brothers” who are simply in the same chat room.

They are not “family” who simply say to you, “Brother!”

Just keep that in mind. This place is no different. Anyone can come in here and say anything (within reason, I expect). There should be no *broad* call for “unity” anywhere. A call for unity is appropriate only where it is established that there is “one faith.”

’til then, the sword.

(Matt 10:34)

20. I thought to my self once: “How, how do we reach the world” How do we get them to convert…” Then it came to me “at the end of the sword”! I quickly rebuked the thought and said NO! That is rediculous! But then I remembered: “…the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Again, another time I preached to two guys at a college campus and after all I said and all the scriptures I quoted they replied: “I am an atheist…I don’t believe that way” I then said to myself what could I have done or said more…why did they not hear and understand? Then the Word of God came to me: “The entrance of thy (God’s) Word giveth life…”. You see, nothing I could say by myself would have done anything….But no doubt they were “cut to the heart”! And why do we go about trying to win certain people as if it were by our own power? Let us PROCLAIM the Gospel but not before we bring the knowledge of sin! Let us show every man himself in the Light of Scripture and use the Law to break thier self-righteous hearts! Then at last when contrition is evident, present the Gospel of Jesus…the Good News! The True love of God and His justice! Let us warn them to ever bear in thier minds and bodies the dying of our Lord Jesus Christ and may God give them understanding! For “… the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.” (!) “The law is good if it is used lawfully…” and use it we shall! In Exodus 20:20 we see why it was given “that His fear may be before [our faces] that [we] sin not!” But greater fear I declare to you! “He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. ” (!) Let all men be broken now upon the Rock and let them hate thier lives! What is wisdom? THE FEAR OF THE LORD! What is understanding? The revelation of Jesus Christ! We have not recieved this justification free! But by the blood of Jesus Christ! Let all the simple understand this: GOD IS JUSTICE AND HE EXECUTED JUSTICE ON THE CROSS…THE WAGES OF YOUR SINS HAVE BEEN PAID IN FULL! So know this: “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” NOT CONFESSION ALONE……BELIEVE UNTO REPENTANCE!

Psalm 19:7 “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.”

Proverbs 22:3 “A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.”

YOU CHOOSE!

HIDE IN THE ROCK NOW….OR SAY TO THE MOUNTAINS AND ROCKS LATER “FALL ON US”!

21. M E Brooks says:

On that day 7 women will take hold of one man and say to him “Give us your name. We need not your bread or clothing. We will provide our own bread and clothing. Only give us your name that our shame/dishonor might be removed”

Welcome to the day of our visitation. Welcome to the pause before Jacob’s Trouble. Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Benny Hinn, etc. will pay the greatest price for their evil. Hell will be full of followers of these false prophets and heretical teachers. Any one who lessens the seriousness of their crimes against humanity needs to check their own walk with Yeshua. It is possible that they embraced the false Gospel which they preach. “come to G_d on your terms. HE will forgive you unconditionally. You need not REPENT. You only need to Accept HIS love.”

Hell is filling up. Don’t follow their path.